Heater Position

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
For submersible heaters, why is it suggested that it be placed horizontally at the bottom of the tank?

Having it at the bottom would make sense during water changes when your tank level drops and you don't leave your heater exposed to the air (which can lead to premature failure).

But why horizontal versus vertical? Is it the same reason why you would place a long air stone horizontal to get better air-water contact for better circulation?

I get great water circulation at the front of my tank because of where the HOB filter is set up. But that would look silly.

Another place that gets good circulation is at the back of the tank near the filter intake. I don't suppose it would be a problem mounting it vertically the filter intake. Any thoughts on this?

I've always figured it is because the temp sensor is at the "top" of the heater. If it heats the water in the vertical position, that warm water rises and the heater may turn off too soon. If it's horizontal, the warm water rises away from the heater and temp sensor.

I've always figured it is because the temp sensor is at the "top" of the heater. If it heats the water in the vertical position, that warm water rises and the heater may turn off too soon. If it's horizontal, the warm water rises away from the heater and temp sensor.

That certainly makes sense. I'm just going to leave it where it is (bottom, center, horizontal).

I have two submersible heaters (one in each back corner). They can be mounted either way, but I just leave them vertical with the dial sticking out so I can adjust the temp without sticking my arm in the tank (and I can see what the dial says). They also have a safety feature that shuts them off when the water level drops to low. It's nice for water changes, one less thing to unplug and forget to plug back in.

The heater part is at the bottom and the thermostat is at the top in all heaters

It's meant to be place vertical to get a true reading of the tank water as heat rises

You should also place the heater next to a filter intake or return to spread the heat more evenly

Back
Top Bottom