heater problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently just installed an aqueon submersible heater into my new tank and a few hours later i saw condensation inside the glass. Is this normal for a submersible heater to have water inside it? cause the light is still on and its still warming up the tank. its just there is a bit of water inside it.

also if i need to return the heater what other heaters could i buy that is a lot safer than the one i have? any suggestions?

here is a picture of the heater.

Attachments

• IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 395
I've heard that the condensation is bad but I'm not sure. I will say this, the Aqueon Pro heaters are really great! They are shatter proof because there's no glass to worry about. They are accurate in maintaining water temp. And they have a lifetime warranty. My Aqueon Pro has been running for a year and no issues.

I have one heater that's completely submersible and one that only the bottom is submersible, is it possible that the one you have isn't supposed to be completely underwater?

Every aqueon heater I've had had condensation in it when I first installed them.

You'll get different opinions on this
A lot of ppl still keep them that way & it will still heat up there tank, a few say it isn't as good or accurate
Other ppl take it out because they don't want to rudy their fish, some have claimed that it killed their fish if not changed
You can try it out see what happens
Read the setting & check the temp of your tank to see if its still working properly
Or if you are a paranoid fish keeper then exchange it for another one to keep your mind at ease

Also looking at the pic again seems like there is some water gathering at the bottom of the heater
I'd guess the sealant is broken or damaged

There does look to be quite a lot of water inside of it. Safety first, water and electricity do not mix. Return it.

Yeah I didn't notice the water building up at the bottom. I'd definitely return it and get a replacement.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
I do want to return it but the problem is that it is the heater that. came with my aqueon deluxe kit. Should I just call the manufacturer and let them know about it so maybe they can send me a different product? But I do want the aqueon heater pro instead of this one so I have nothing to worry about.

Well where did you buy the aquarium kit? It might take long to go though the hassle of dealing with the manufacturer. If you could, contact where you bought the kit from and see if you can swap it? I would then sell the heater as new to someone or on ebay and buy the aqueon pro. Amazon has a decent price on it.

i bought it at petco. and i don't think i want the same heater after this experience haha.
so im wondering if they would let me switch it for a different heater and pay more.

Usually the condensation inside will eat away at the heating coil nd eventually not work, ive had same experiences some lasted a month, some lasted a year, its a 50/50 situation really, i would just have one on deck just in case it craps out, i like the Fluval heaters, i have a couple of them, one even at 5 years and still working.

yah i see what you mean.
i'd rather get something that works for 5 years than something that might just go out on me one day haha.

i bought it at petco. and i don't think i want the same heater after this experience haha.
so im wondering if they would let me switch it for a different heater and pay more.

Petco and Petsmart return exchange policy is pretty good IME. Since the heater came as part of a kit in a 'package deal' they wouldn't (at least I'm almost positive) that they just couldn't take that heater and let you upgrade it from something on their shelf, even if you pay the difference. You can certainly ask, you never know if the manager is willing to work with you though.

If they'll only exchange it with the same kind of heater (which I think that would be the case), I would exchange it for a 'new one' in which you can sell 'as new' on ebay or something. For the meantime, I'd get the Aqueon Pro and you'll eventually get some of that investment back because you sold the new heater that came with your kit.

For example, I just bought a Marineland 10G Halfmoon Kit that came with a heater and filter. The filter, IMO absolutely sucked and was way under-powered, being that it was a Tetra Whisper 10i. I sold it "as is" and "in new" condition w/out the retail packaging on ebay. I look at the money I made back from that as an investment for the superior filter I picked up, which was the Fluval C2.

Petco and Petsmart return exchange policy is pretty good IME. Since the heater came as part of a kit in a 'package deal' they wouldn't (at least I'm almost positive) that they just couldn't take that heater and let you upgrade it from something on their shelf, even if you pay the difference. You can certainly ask, you never know if the manager is willing to work with you though.

If they'll only exchange it with the same kind of heater (which I think that would be the case), I would exchange it for a 'new one' in which you can sell 'as new' on ebay or something. For the meantime, I'd get the Aqueon Pro and you'll eventually get some of that investment back because you sold the new heater that came with your kit.

For example, I just bought a Marineland 10G Halfmoon Kit that came with a heater and filter. The filter, IMO absolutely sucked and was way under-powered, being that it was a Tetra Whisper 10i. I sold it "as is" and "in new" condition w/out the retail packaging on ebay. I look at the money I made back from that as an investment for the superior filter I picked up, which was the Fluval C2.

I see well i'll figure it out tomorrow. hopefully the manager is willing to work with me on that. if not then i might do what you are telling me to do.

Hi I have a heater that has tiny tiny bubbles on it nowhere near as many as you and there all on the outside
Why does mine have bubbles

I've had mine running for about 2 months with no problems
Just wondering though

Hi I have a heater that has tiny tiny bubbles on it nowhere near as many as you and there all on the outside
Why does mine have bubbles

honestly i don't know. thats how mine was at first then it got worst.
just make sure to look at it sometimes to check if there is water inside it. if theres not then it should be good. :)

Back
Top Bottom