heater stuck....now what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nels22

Aquarium Advice Activist
My heater got stuck on lastnight, and my tank went up to 92*, i am in the process of cooling the tank (windows open fan running on it) there is little movement on two turbo snails, most the astreas are turned upside down, and i haven't been able to find two cleaner shrimp, so they are probably gone, i have one coral in there, but it's closed......no much in there, so pretty lucky in that regard, i switched heaters.

What do i do now, will lr be ok??

Nels22 said:
My heater got stuck on lastnight, and my tank went up to 92*, i am in the process of cooling the tank (windows open fan running on it) there is little movement on two turbo snails, most the astreas are turned upside down, and i haven't been able to find two cleaner shrimp, so they are probably gone, i have one coral in there, but it's closed......no much in there, so pretty lucky in that regard, i switched heaters.

What do i do now, will lr be ok??

Can anyone plz explain why they can't make a heater that turns off at a certain temp to prevent this? Lets say 85 degrees...... so everything in your tank doesn't fry. jeeze :?

Every heater is made to turn off at a certain temperature - and turn on at a certain temperature.

In my 125g I have 2 150w heaters. Even if one were to stick, it couldn't heat the water that fast - and I'd notice if the temp was rising. Don't buy too big a heater.

tank down to 86*, both turbos are moving around pretty good, and my zoos opened up when the lights came on 8O , turned them back off, guess now is the time to do some aquascaping to remove all the dead snails and shrimp (have been wanting a different set up for awhile anyway, just not this way) do you think all the lr worms, feather dusters etc will be ok, has anybody else dealt with this?

Hard to say how the LR life is going to do. It survived quite a journey to even get to your tank, so it must be pretty tough.

If anything has died, do your best to remove it before it produces too much ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom