Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
Darn it, my heater malfunctioned and I now have 6 dead fish. I'm forever sticking my fingers in the water to make sure it isn't too warm, missed yesterday and as a result my tank was at 100 degrees.

:banghead:

I am so sorry for your loss! Please don't blame yourself for missing a day.

Sorry. I've been there before. In the future you can get a heater controller that will shut the heater off if the heater's internal thermostat goes out. It can save you a lot of trouble.

Very sorry...

I've been lucky not to experience this yet.

I've had good luck with Eheim Jäger Heaters. They are fully submersible and have a thick power cord. They are powerful heaters.

sometimes things happen out of our control..

Caleb

Sorry. I've been there before. In the future you can get a heater controller that will shut the heater off if the heater's internal thermostat goes out. It can save you a lot of trouble.

Where do you get one of those?

That happened to me twice, many years ago. Each time I lost all of my fish. No need to keep sticking your finger in the tank, use a thermometer.

I have a thermometer in my tank, it's easier when I walk by to stick my fingers in the water instead of turning the light on to read the thermometer.

What exactly happens if a heater blows I have an aqueon 50 watt mini heater and the tank is 10 feet from where I sleep am I safe. The tank is acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay cause I read on YouTube that when a heater malfunctions it can explode but I guess they were wrong

Okay cause I read on YouTube that when a heater malfunctions it can explode but I guess they were wrong

*explode* is a bit heavy of a word. What happens is when you change your water forgetting to turn the heater off, the heater heats up a lot. Then when you add water the rapid cooling of the hot glass causes it to shatter.

The explosion happens if a heater is on outside of water. It heats itself and builds the pressure inside of it to the point of breakage

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay thanks for clarifying what actually happens cause I was starting to get paranoid of 10 gallons on the floor and glass everywhere

That sux.. Thats my biggest worry is something like that happening.. Thankfully in 20 years it never has.. and i still have 2 150w 20 year old heaters running in some of my tanks. The temps on them are a little off, like setting em to 72f the tanks run at 78-80f but no issues with em.

I think the problem is todays heaters are just cheap junk.

Back
Top Bottom