heating problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75g freshwater tank and its been up for about 3 days. I got a Via Aqua quartz 300 watt heater and I'm having trouble getting it to 78 degrees. Right now its at 75 and I need it to 78. I have it cranked to 93 but its stayed at 75 since yesterday..surely that heater can't be off by that much..any ideas?

I have a different heater but see if it has a water line mark. As in how high the water should be on the heater. I think that it should have two lines. A minimum and a maximum. Most heaters are fully submersible but work best if the top end is out of the water.

I have a 75g freshwater tank and its been up for about 3 days. I got a Via Aqua quartz 300 watt heater and I'm having trouble getting it to 78 degrees. Right now its at 75 and I need it to 78. I have it cranked to 93 but its stayed at 75 since yesterday..surely that heater can't be off by that much..any ideas?

+1 on the waterline answer above.

Also, I'd be a little cautious of cranking the temp up to 93 on the heater. If for some unexplained reason the heater decided it wanted to 'kick in' and function properly, you could have an issue.

I have it fully submerged.. no fish it so if it does decide to do that then I won't be to in trouble. Should I place the heater in the middle cause I have it on one side right now? I've always used aqueon heaters and have never had problems with them being to far off. I guess I shoulda stuck with the brand I know..

I have it fully submerged.. no fish it so if it does decide to do that then I won't be to in trouble. Should I place the heater in the middle cause I have it on one side right now? I've always used aqueon heaters and have never had problems with them being to far off. I guess I shoulda stuck with the brand I know..

Yeah, is the heater new? If so, my suspicion is that it is faulty.

Yeah its brand new...hope I can find the receipt haha I'm so bad about losing receipts

I'm curious as to why you need the water to be 78 degrees. Also why you have the heater on in the summer. i haven't had a heater in ten years and my water stays the same give or take a degree or two.

tonedogz said:
I'm curious as to why you need the water to be 78 degrees. Also why you have the heater on in the summer. i haven't had a heater in ten years and my water stays the same give or take a degree or two.

That's what I keep my tanks at. And my house is always really cold in the summer so I always keep a heater for good measure..

Okay well I tested it in a bucket and it was only four degrees off. So I found the problem I don't have enough flow and the fluval 406 isn't giving it enough so I got a marineland maxi jet 600. Power head

I thought it was best to always have two heaters, each approximately half of what is needed. That way if one goes crazy yu won't lose your whole tank. Am I wrong in thinking this?

brennae said:
I thought it was best to always have two heaters, each approximately half of what is needed. That way if one goes crazy yu won't lose your whole tank. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I don't think so..I know some ppl who do it...I dont. But I don't know well see how the temp holds in a couple days so far its been good only 5 degrees off

I don't know if your right or wrong but it sounds like a pretty good idea

I woke up this morning and the tank dropped about 1 degree... Yeah its not huge but I don't like that it didn't stay the same..does that bug anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom