Heavy duty tank cabinet build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another update, was looking at the 1/4" plywood and decided it was just too thin. Don't feel it will hold the doors very well and most of it was badly warped. Decided to go with 11/32". Picked up two sheets plus two 8' pieces of 90 degree molding for the corner edges. I think that will look better than trying to use 1/4 round.

So while the top part is drying from the first coat of polyurethane I can start sanding the wood for the sides. This is costing quite a bit more than I figured it would. At this point about double what I thought. Live and learn I guess I'm still pretty happy with what I have, I learn best by doing anyway.

If it was me for the sides I would use wood glue and air nail it on if you don't have access to a nailer I think your strip idea would work fine

We all learn best by trying and I agree 11/32 is a good plywood and the corner moulding will work great still using 1/4 for the sides ? If not and you use 11/32 I would counter sink screws and fill the holes with a stainable wood filler

Using 11/32 for all of the sides. I do have an air nailer, well it's electric not air. :cool: It's a brad nailer and I figured it would work well for the trim pieces.

LOL, just realized I've been spelling moulding wrong. :facepalm: Good grief, I wish I hadn't been taught to spell phonetically. Thank goodness for spell check.

In terms of cost, I often find that my build projects end up costing a little more than I expected too, and don't really end up saving much of anything compared to buying a piece from a store. But, and it's a big but, you need to take in to account the quality of materials (which may be different from the quality of construction :brows: ).

When you look at some of the tank stands you can purchase, most are nowhere near as strong as what you're building, and will almost certainly be laminates rather than 3/4 solid pine or whatever. It may end up costing a little more to build it yourself, but you have something much more solid and durable, and you have the added satisfaction (honestly, when it's all done and tank setup, it will be worth it!) of having made it yourself (y)

When you look at some of the tank stands you can purchase, most are nowhere near as strong as what you're building, and will almost certainly be laminates rather than 3/4 solid pine or whatever. It may end up costing a little more to build it yourself, but you have something much more solid and durable, and you have the added satisfaction (honestly, when it's all done and tank setup, it will be worth it!) of having made it yourself (y)

I couldn't agree more, I don't want you to think I was complaining about the cost, more of just a cautionary note for anyone reading this. I don't know if any of you folks are into fly tying, but this is very much like that. First, I try to know where I'm going to end up (but in this case have changed plans a lot). Second, I never seem to have the materials I need on hand (I've made about 8 trips to Lowes in the last two days). Third, it never looks like I thought it would, lol.

Frankly this thing is going to handle a LOT of weight. I can't imagine buying something from a store that would handle the same load and make me feel safe about it.

Hehe, don't worry, it didn't sound like you were complaining :) I literally live round the block from Lowes, and still end up going back + forth in the middle of projects! And yeah, it's a nice feeling knowing you have something you can trust when you have a few gallons of water relying on the strength of some bits of wood!

Now fly tying is something that totally freaks me out, cost wise - I'll stick to figuring out what dry flies would work well, e-mailing my dad, and waiting for a package to arrive in the mail :D

Added a second coat of polyurethane to the top birch board, sanded and stained the first of two 11/32" pieces of plywood I'm using for the sides. New Pictures are up.

You mentioned the heat and humidity a few days ago - are you still struggling with this? I always get frustrated trying to finish a project in high heat and humidity as it just never takes right in those conditions. Maybe try giving it an extra 24 hours drying time then sanding with 400+ grit and giving it one more coat?

No I didn't sand between coats, it didn't even occur to me that I should. I'll do a third coat then, and sand before I do. I just figured I was applying it incorrectly.

I'm going to give it a couple days to dry completely as you suggest. I have to work on the other pieces anyway. My goal is to have this done before next weekend is over. But now I'm starting to think about putting a top/hutch on it to hold a set of lights. Maybe that can wait for a few months.

It wasn't as hot here today but tomorrow it is supposed to get ugly again. I'm in Denver, CO so there isn't much humidity, basically desert. But the Sun is intense at a mile above sea level. Also I've moved everything inside, the house smells like a chemical factory but it is worth it to not have cotton sticking to the polyurethane and stain.

I just stained the decorative trim for the top edges. Hope I end up using it instead of wasting it like I did the 1/4 rounds. :banghead:

Lol let that coat dry nice and hard give it a sand with a FINE coarse sand paper or emery cloth 300-400 grit and then get really picky and do a nice thin smooth coat but try to do it fast so the clear stays wet and dosent tack up while you are spreading hope you understand my ramble lol

MORE PICTURES!!!!! AARRRGGGHHH! :brows:

These just show the stained trim for the top edges and the stained 90 degree mouldings for the vertical corner edges.

So this is actually pretty good, I just totaled my receipts, at this point I'm only $355.33 in on this project. I thought for sure I was at $500.00.

Back
Top Bottom