hello hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JettMillenia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my names Jeff. I found these forums acouple weeks ago and loved the wealth of information and friendly people on here. I am a new tank owner finally, always been wanting one for along time. Can't wait to learn and share my tank experience with all ya :)

hi jett! i keep my fish in bright and sunny eatonville!!! hee hee, i wish lol (about the bright and sunny that is). good luck with the new tank!

Hi all, i have just joined. i have had my marine tank for a 3 months now and all was going well until last week - i need Help!

Hello my names Jeff. I found these forums acouple weeks ago and loved the wealth of information and friendly people on here. I am a new tank owner finally, always been wanting one for along time. Can't wait to learn and share my tank experience with all ya :)
Hi Jeff,
I to just joined the forum the 1st of January. I totally agree with you about the info. and the people.
Like you, I wanted to have a tank for years. So a little over 6 years ago I got my then 4 year old grandson a 10 gallon tank.
We all proceeded to fall in love with our fish. Now we have the 10 gallon, plus a 5 gallon Hosp. tank and 2-55 gallon tanks. It's not just a hobby anymore.
Aquariums are like potato chips, no one can have just one.
What kind of fish do you have? Or what are you planning to get?
Best of luck, I'm sure we'll cross paths in the forum
Sincerely,
Wendi

welcometoaa.gif

I will totally agree with ya on about the potato chips, I already want more and more. Im already looking at getting another 10gallon tank here soon.
But As of right now
My 29gallon:
1 crown tail betta
1 Blue dwarf gourami
1 Dalmatian molly
1 Red tail shark
And im planning to get a school of fish hopefully, I going to look into that more

I will totally agree with ya on about the potato chips, I already want more and more. Im already looking at getting another 10gallon tank here soon.
But As of right now
My 29gallon:
1 crown tail betta
1 Blue dwarf gourami
1 Dalmatian molly
1 Red tail shark
And im planning to get a school of fish hopefully, I going to look into that more
Sounds great, I do have one suggestion though.
You should look into getting a pleco for your tank. Plecos get along with just about everyone and being a bit of a scavenger they help keep your tank clean.
There are so many different kinds of Plecos. They come in a broad range of prices and sizes.
I have a Pleco in each of my 55 gallon tanks. In my Cichlid tank I have a Bushy nose Pleco. His name is Jed and he'll stay 4" long
In my Tinfoil Barb tank I have a Common Pleco named Clint. When he's fully grown he can get up to 18"-24" long. For now he's only6-7", but growing fast.
Ask around Plecos are a great addition to any tank and they make less work for you.
Some people find them unattractive. But the first Fish we ever had was a common Pleco that was given to us. We named him Eddy Fisher, and he was awesome . He was so friendly, when we walked up to the tank he would rise to the surface and let us gently pet him every day.
We lost him to our first encounter with ick. It was a hard lesson, but we haven't lost anyone to ick since then.
Anyway there are so many to chose from, there are short ones, long ones, gold ones, blue ones. You can pay $6.00 or $60.00, you can get them at your LFS or delivered to your front door by ordering online.
But you can find out what kind you want by looking at them online. Plus you can get very helpful info. on their care and feeding and what the ideal water parameters are for them.
Just a detailed suggestion.
Enjoy
Wendi

Thank you wendi. Most plecos are kinda ugly in my opinion, but I do like them. I like them and love watching them too. Its funny you should mention the pleco because I just bought one today. Unfortunately I didn't research the one I saw at my LPS, they didn't have much info except its called a pleco and that it was cheap. Well after buying it and bringing it home I find out its a common pleco and will outgrow my tank. Guess thats what I get for not researching and going cheap. He is already 3" now. I don't want to give him back quite yet until I find a smaller one. So the search begins lol

OOPS! I need a bigger tank, again

Thank you wendi. Most plecos are kinda ugly in my opinion, but I do like them. I like them and love watching them too. Its funny you should mention the pleco because I just bought one today. Unfortunately I didn't research the one I saw at my LPS, they didn't have much info except its called a pleco and that it was cheap. Well after buying it and bringing it home I find out its a common pleco and will outgrow my tank. Guess thats what I get for not researching and going cheap. He is already 3" now. I don't want to give him back quite yet until I find a smaller one. So the search begins lol

Hi Jeff,
Sorry I didn't say something about them yesterday.
Try LiveAquaria.com, they not only have a large varied stock. They have all the information about the fish.
They carry FW, SW, & BW and coral, pretty much you name it they got it. Along with the picture of what the fish looks like. They have a long list of stuff, from what the fish eats, how big it gets, water parameters, all the way to where they originate and what things are like in that part of the world, to what other fish they do well with. It's most of what you need to start with. So that you can make an informed choice.
I made a mistake taking free(lol) fish from someone I barely knew.
I knew nothing about the fish, but it was me or they would be euthanized. Well, like you I researched after I got them home. It turned out these cute little fish were a schooling fish and that they like to be in groups of 5 at a time and the best part was they would grow to be 13" long each. So I had 4 of them and soon I'd have 52" of fish.
So the free fish became $1000.00 fish as I had to buy a new tank and stand and all the fixings to make them a nice place to live.
Oh, ya, the fish are Tinfoil Barbs and they are named Wyatt, Virgil, Morgan Earp and Doc Holiday.
They are cool, but I won't ever get anything again without proper research, especially "free" fish.

Wow, they didn't turn out to be free fish in the end lol. I checked out live aquatica and really liked all the info I found. I checked out all the plecos, and found all the cool looking ones are super expensive. Well I just might save up and buy a bigger tank once my pleco out grows mine.

You can try craigslist. I got my first 55 gallon tank and stand with all the necessary things for $115.00 delivered. And it has been a great tank. Over the years I've had to replace the filters, the heaters, and the decor.
And 2 years ago it got a 4:00am leak, that was a bit frantic. But I replaced the silicone and it's still a great tank.
But as with anything buyer beware. I tried to get a second tank there and it didn't go as well. But it's worth a look, your Pleco will outgrow your tank faster than you may think.
Anyway best of luck and enjoy your soon to be large Placo. There is nothing common about them.

Back
Top Bottom