Hello! Newcommer ich problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So your using meds? If you are, ypu need to follow the instructions properly or it won't work and your ich will become immune to that med.

Readings are
3 for nitrite
20 for nitrate
8.0 ph
80 kh
180 gh

(Gh was also 180 in reading I previously gave, not 120!)

Ammonia is still around 1

I'm thinking of getting a liquid tester since a lot of people suggest it.

The ich seems to be slowly going away from my fish so again, fingers crossed that it completely goes away with the heat and med treatment.

Only problem is now, I've looked online for the last hr trying to figure out what's wrong with my lyretail guppy. He has these red spots on his tail, the very tips I think it's septecimia or fin rot. All my other fish (4 platys and last remaining guppy, he's a tiny baby endler) are great, everyone is active and ate today but...I'm thinking my lyretail has sir come to this due to the nitrite or ammonia being high? I'm thinking of returning both guppies. As sad as it makes me they just don't seem to be as hardy as I'd like. With my size tank and do to regular water changes and amount of plants what would someone suggest I put in the tank with 4 platies? One more platy and a few cherry shrimp? Of course this would be after the cycle is fully complete.
And as much as I'd like a community tank I do agree after trial and error that a larger tank would do me a lot better for a community.

What are pwcs what if I do a few water changes

I hope you're fish are doing better! I agree with heat treatment so far, I've been using meds as well it was relatively cheap from petsmart. The ich Is leaving my fish and hopefully within the next few days it is completely clear of the water as well. I'm going to keep the water rather warm for the next few weeks I may even keep it around 80 after all this is over and done with. I hope your plants also survive!

I wanted to thank everyone again!
Ammonia is down to .50, nitrite Is a bit high at 3 and nitrates at 20. (This Is off the top of my head atm so I'm hoping I said that correctly) I did get a liquid tester as well and I feel the test is very accurate!
I did also take the guppies to a local fish shop and they gladly took them. The healthy little elder I'm sure will find a new home (I let them know about the ich) I'm not so certain my lyretail will survive but they assured me they'd try to have them both make a full recovery. So now, it's back to my 4 platys and everything seems normal and healthy. I think I deff had a problem with overstocking even with all the plants, some are still growing and don't cover much of the water quite yet so I can understand. I will post pictures soon so you guys can see. I have two things of decor, a tree and a cave but I think it may be too much as well. Contemplating taking the tree out and adding a bunch more plants while rearranging the cave. That would give every fish a lot more swimming space I think.

image-645654859.jpg

This is the tank before I added more plants and the ones I "planted" started to grow. As well as before I added any fish. I also added a thermometer and heater. It may not be that great or extravagant as some but I do like it :)

image-1355428887.jpg

3/4 platys the high fin and red are male. I have 2 sunset platys (one being a little shy and likes to swim in the cave often)

Attachments

• image-1273837678.jpg
    image-1273837678.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 45
image-2412374069.jpg

This is my tank as of today, you can see the exceptional growth of my plants plus the ones I added :) in the bottom picture there are 3 plants I can't identify, I planted 6 bulbs in my tank from petsmart all of them grew but what are they? The one on the very front hasn't grown any leaves or anything to really identify it but the other two have, can anyone throw a guess?

Attachments

• image-2334473629.jpg
    image-2334473629.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 49
Now that you have a test kit you'll want to properly cycle your tank. You should have zero ammonia and zero nitrite. Take a look at this article and let us know if you have any questions. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice Also, now that your plants are growing in so nicely, I would remove the tree. It's really only taking up valuable space.
Thank you! I believe my cycle is coming to an end, ammonia is going down and nitrite and nitrates are rising. Just waiting for the nitrite to lower :) still doing ich treatment and 25% water changes a day. Everyone seems very healthy, eating well, and schooling together. I'm glad you agree on taking the tree out. I think a few more plants would do the tank nicely and it would deff free up a lot more space :) everyone has been so helpful. I'm glad I came across this forum when I did. I'm not sure my tank would be doing as well as is without the help!

I also just did a test, nitrite are at a 5 now! And nitrates at a 40. Ammonia .25
Will nitrites usually spike this high before the cycling ends? (Online reading isn't exactly 100% helpful in this case) or does is just vary? My tank has been running about a month now come the first week of nov. Again, my fish seem healthy but I know prolong exposure to high ammonia and nitrites could be deadly, can I do something to help? I've been suggested water changes and to test water daily which I do both every day.

That's all you can do and honestly take your strips and put them in that can we call the garbage because that's what they are. Your ammonia might say .25 and it could really be 1ppm. You even have differences between liquid kits.. But strips are not accurate. This will help with your fish. Also the red spots are probably ammonia burns from the high amount. Water changes and test daily! Personally I'd do two at least one 50% a day.
Possibly add some non- iodized salt at 1 tbsp per 10 gallon for stress.

I believe the spike is middle to end... But that is a huge amount of nitrite. 5ppm! You would need to do basically 100% water change to get it into livable conditions, then test again and maybe do another pwc.

I believe the spike is middle to end... But that is a huge amount of nitrite. 5ppm! You would need to do basically 100% water change to get it into livable conditions, then test again and maybe do another pwc.

That is some **** horrible news. I was thinking it was okay since there was suppose to be a spike :/ looks like I'll be doing a huge water change tonight. No one is showing signs as of right now so I'm hoping this water change helps and that my fish stay healthy! Thanks for the advice

They might not show signs but the high levels will impact their overall life. Just keep amonia and nitrites below .25ppm

They might not show signs but the high levels will impact their overall life. Just keep amonia and nitrites below .25ppm

Ammonia is between 0-.25
My nitrites are down to 3 I'm about to do another big water change, my bucket only allows me to do 3 gallons at a time so I'll be doing another water change later on tonight at well. I'm hoping this lowers the nitrite to livable conditions. Nitrates are around 20-40 I hope my plants can eat off any extra nitrates in the water. I'm pretty sure my be bifocal bacteria is growing since the ammonia is lowering and nitrites have spiked, correct me if I'm wrong.
For the time being since I've been treating my water with heat and ich meds for the ich I've kept my carbon filter out but I have another filter (kind of wiring feeling made of plastic I've kept that one in. I was told it helps the beneficial bacteria grow is that true? I would hate to have messed up the cycle, I don't want to put my fish through more than what they've already endured.

I'm not sure what you mean by wire plastic thingy. Is it media inside a filter what type of filter do you have? As long as there isn't carbon in it everything will be fine. The carbon will remove your meds...

I'm not sure what you mean by wire plastic thingy. Is it media inside a filter what type of filter do you have? As long as there isn't carbon in it everything will be fine. The carbon will remove your meds...

image-758924089.jpg

This is what it looks like, I'm not sure if it's much help. All I can tell you about it is the brand is aqua tech. You know how some filters have a wheel? I think that little thing is suppose to be like it but I have no actual clue.

I tested my tap for ammonia and it's almost at 4 btw! Is there something I can use to lower it before adding to my tank? I already use a dechlorinator and let the water sit for a while. I do also heat the water up a few degrees warmer than my aquarium water before adding it in since I loose a bit of warmth when doing changes.

Rodi unit or let the water age, rodi units are expensive though

How long should I let It sit? I already let it sit anywhere from 6-24 hrs just depending on how urgent a cleaning is due to my nitrites being high

image-924405433.jpg

I took the tree out as well, moved the plants around a bit and added two new bulbs. I plan on getting more and making some what of a jungle out of it :) any suggestions? I have relatively low light 20 watt bulbs their a bit long. I also don't have any fert nor plan on using it.

I have a moss ball, java ferns, some anubius...I really couldn't tell you what grew out of the bulbs but their growing like weeds, one is super tall already at the top of the tank with smaller leaves. On has reddish leaves that fan out quite a bit....there's are some pics

image-969297650.jpg

My fish seem to love playing in them.

Attachments

• image-720800052.jpg
    image-720800052.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image-2173072275.jpg
    image-2173072275.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 49
Looks like you're making progress. I would let a glass if tap water sit out for 24. Stirring occasionally, then check it again. If the ammonia is gone I would look at getting a tote or tub of some sort to allow your water to age before water changes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom