Hello to all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gowanburn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just joint the community and look forward to sharing best practices and hearing your advice. I have an immediate issue: My tropical fishes are breathing fast and swimming slowly. I did a water test on PH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite, all normal. What could it be?

Hi and welcome.

Perhaps insuficient gass exchange due to not enough surface agitation ? You also could have a floating scum/film inhibiting the exchange. You didn't mention your equipment or tank size. Normaly a HOB breaking the surface will provide all the agitation one ever needs, but you could try improving agitation with an air pump / air stone. Or if you running a canister filter point output higher to cause ripples.

I assume no CO2 injection is involved .

Thank you

Thank you very much for the advice. My fish are doing well this morning, after I took about a gallon of water out of the tank and made sure that the pump was actually aerating the surface. I think on reflection I raised the pH of the tank too fast when I realised that the pH had dropped. I am so pleased to have this forum to help me looking after my fishes more effectively. I have a JUWEL corner tank which has maybe 100 litres. It has an inbuilt pump and I have no extra aeration, maybe I need to investigate this more. I have 4 large fishes, two medium fishes and a 12m long Oscar in the tank.
You are sure to hear more from me in future but for now thank you so much for your advice. Gowanburn

Thank you

Thank you very much for the advice. My fish are doing well this morning, after I took about a gallon of water out of the tank and made sure that the pump was actually aerating the surface. I think on reflection I raised the pH of the tank too fast when I realised that the pH had dropped. I am so pleased to have this forum to help me looking after my fishes more effectively. I have a JUWEL corner tank which has maybe 100 litres. It has an inbuilt pump and I have no extra aeration, maybe I need to investigate this more. I have 4 large fishes, two medium fishes and a 12m long Oscar in the tank.
You are sure to hear more from me in future but for now thank you so much for your advice. Gowanburn

Attachments

• 1520336472420138188147.jpg
    1520336472420138188147.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 28
Hello -
Those are gorgeous fish. Unfortunately, the tank is too small to house them. Even 400 liters would be too small. There’s an Oscar, 2 silver dollars, 2 tin foil barbs, and what I think are 2 angel fish. The only ones that might stay are the latter 2. The others get very large.

Oh dear. Thank you Fresg2O.
It looks like I need to upgrade to a much larger tank. You are correct with most of your id. Just one angel fish but also a black shark with red tail and a new baby plec. I am away for 3 weeks from Friday but will investigate a good new tank during Easter break. Any recommendations welcome.

Some say 1 Oscar needs a 75g tank alone....
How long has tank been running?
I agree most of those fish alone will be too much for that size tank.
Who maintains tank while you are away?

The tank has been running for 12 years with various fish. As it is now it has been running for several month. I added the silver barbs and Oscar about 2 months ago. The silver dollars are with me for 5.plus years. What do you mean by 75g for the Oscar?

75g = 300 liters aprox.
That for a grown oscar alone some say ...
I am not the stocking police but what you have should be in 75g /300 liter tank as a minimum for the fish to be their best .

Thank you coralbandid

I just measured my tank. It hold 200 litres. I will need to at least double the size of the tank and would appreciate a recommendation re brand of tanks which are very good. Space is no problem.
When I travel my neighbour 'feeds the fish'. There is no maintanamce during that time. I am sure I need to learn a lot and set myself up properly for the future

Back
Top Bottom