Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased a Black Ghost Knifefish. He is the only fish I have in the tank. I have him in a 20 gallon tank for now, but want to move him into the 60 gallon tank I have, and use sand on the bottom instead of gravel. I was wondering if I should fill the 60G up now and let it sit for a week with the conditioners and heater in it? Also, I buy spring water to put in the tanks since we have such hard water where we live, because I am afraid of harming the fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
~Darby :D

First off Welcome to AA :) Simply setting up your tank for a week will not do. You first need to cycle the tank. Here is an article on cycling without fish, you will first need to do that before even thinking about adding any fish to it... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...ks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html

Also, for the substrate, i highly recommend pool filter sand. Alot of us use it around here, and it is fabulous. It is super cheap and heavy enough to still vacuum, but small enough to prevent waste from getting down below the surface.

Thanks so much for your help and quick reply! Now I hope I can decipher the article! I have only had my fish for 4 days and I am in love with him and I don't want anything to happen to him!

All you would be doing is putting in dirty water, regardless of how clean it looks. The bacteria is on the decor, substrate, and filter(s).

you do, the water column conatains very little if any bacteria. That is why you need to move the filter and decor over to "seed" that bacteria in your new tank

Okay, I understand now. You have also deciphered some of that article for me! And the fish will be okay with the other new filter in the current tank? I very much appreciate your help with this.

Has the 20G only been set up for 4 days? If so you need to get someone to take care of the fish while you cycle the 60 gallon tank and get it ready for fish. If the 20 has been cycled then move the filter over to the 60 and fill it with dechlored water and move the fish. Then get a bigger filter appropriate for the bigger tank and run it along with the filter from the 20 until it is seeded.

Yes, it has only been set up for 4 days. What do you mean have someone take care of the fish? He is not really supposed to be with other fish. I have 2 filters and one has a Hi to Lo setting with 2 filters in it. (A filter with carbon and a sponge filter). It would be bad for the fish if I put in a new filter? What do you do when it needs changed? I have read and read and read for hours on how to take care of him and this is the first time I have read about moving filters, etc.

Yes, it has only been set up for 4 days. I have a Hi to Lo setting filter running into it right now, which has 2 filters in it, (carbon filled and sponge). I also have another filter that came with the tank which has no settings. It would be bad to put a new filter in with him right now if I moved the current one into the 60G? What do I do when the filter needs changed in the future? I have read and read for hours on how to take care of this fish and this is the first time I have come across anything about the filters besides what kind to use. I really, really appreciate your guys' help with all of this!

The reason he said to have somebody else take care of the fish is because your tank is not cycled yet. When a tank is not cycled, there are no bacteria to break down the ammonia in the tank, and ammonia is toxic to fish. Basically a cycle goes through several stages. First you need ammonia. Once you have ammonia, certain bacteria will grow and you will have nitrite. As you start getting nitrite, bacteria continues to grow and you get nitrate. Once you get nitrates, the nitrites and ammonia levels go down. The bacteria fights both of those off. An example of a cycled tanks water parameters are Ammonia-0ppm, Nitrite- 0ppm, Nitrate 5-20ppm. Right now, you probably have some ammonia (if its had a chance to build up), and no nitrite or nitrate. The ammonia will slowly poison the fish to death. Cycling a tank with fish in it will take much longer than without due to having to do water changes almost daily to keep ammonia levels tollerable to fish. Without the higher ammonia levels (4-5ppm), the bacteria growth is slowed down, resulting in a longer cycling period. Without fish, most cycles take about 2 weeks. If you had a cycled tank, you could simply pull the filter media from that and use it to seed the new tank, resulting in a MUCH faster cycle. Does that make more sense? I know its not exactly technically correct, but thats the jist of it

Yes, that makes sense. The filter I have in with the fish right now is not cycled enough to move into the new tank. Now I am worried that he is going to get sick! I just did a test on the tank and these are the results:
NO3-10
NO2-1 (test is saying to check filter)
GH- soft
KH-100
pH-7.2

what kind of test kit are you using? If youre not already, try and get a liquid test kit. Strips are notoriously innacurate. Are you using any bacterial additives like stress-zyme or something of that nature?

I am using a strip test and have gotten the same readings except for the NO2, it was 0, now it's 10. I am not using anything else in the tank except for the AquaSafe I used at first. Should I be using other things? I am going to the store tomorrow so if there is anything you think I need to adjust the new tank would you let me know? And I will pick up a liquid test! Thanks so much!

The liquid test kit is all you need. i was just wondering because you said it had 10ppm on the nitrate. Get a liquid test kit and test again, you may be getting an incorect reading.

The problem with taking him back is I live 100 miles from the nearest pet store. I am currently getting adice on how to bring the ammonia down in the tank and doing 1-2 water changes a day until it's better. He still seems to be doing fine, i.e still swimming around like he has been. I am 99% sure I overfed him and that is seriously contributing to the amount of ammonia. And I also went and got a liquid test kit and you are right about the papaer strips! They don't work right!

Back
Top Bottom