Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannah02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a senior in high school and I just got my first fish tank. The college I'm going to next year allows tanks up to 10 gallons, so that's what I have. I currently have seven Glofish (tetras) and four ghost shrimp.

After letting the tank cycle for a couple days, I got the fish Tuesday evening. They haven't eaten since I've gotten them and wondered if anyone knew why? Should I be concerned or is this normal? I got my water tested and everything's fine. Also, is that too many fish for a 10 gallon. The guy at the store said it was fine, but I think they look a little cramped.

Thanks!
~Hannah

You are definitely overstocked a ten gallon tank is not big enough for seven fish that can grow to be 2-3 inches large. The general rule is one gallon per inch of fish which means in your case you would need at least a 20 gallon tank.

It could be they're still adjusting to the new environment. Mine didn't eat for the first 2 days but now they are happy comfortable and eating.

Inch per gallon rule is no good. Aqadvisor.com is a very good resource.

How did you cycle your tank?
+1 on aqadvisor, and google the nitrogen cycle if you need information on cycling a tank.
Aqadvisor isn't perfect but a very good starting point, you can use for researching different setups.

Back
Top Bottom