Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RBurkle1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a tank about 30 days ago and haven't been completely successful.

I have just a small 10 gallon starter tank and another 6 gallon tank also a 1.5 gallon tank. Yes I started them all the same week haha.

I started the bigger tank with an electric blue acara and a regular blue acara all with the prospects of getting a bigger tank. The electric blue lasted 3 days wow was he a beautiful fish. The other is still going strong. About two weeks after the electric blue died I purchased a parrot chiclid he lasted about 2 days. Still the other guy is going strong. So I bought another regular blue acara last week and both are doing quite well. And on the 14th of next month I'll be getting a 75 gallon tank that I might put a 3rd acara in with these two after giving it a bit.

Well yesterday I looked into the tank and the water was a bit cloudy not a major concern as it hasn't gotten worse. But the plants that I had in there were covered in a slimy substance. It may have been from the minnows that I put in there for the acaras to enjoy. Even though they only got one of the 4 I put in. But one had died and was stuck to the back of the filter. So anyway the older acara was breathing very heavily after I did a 20% water change and added some chemicals to help cycle everything better. So I googled it and saw that adding salt would actually help fresh water fish as well. So I added salt and low and behold he is full of life today.

Now 2 questions I have.
1) Should I when I finally get my 75 gallon tank use salt for the new cycle or only when I put fish in?
2) I use live plants, is there a such thing as too many plants? And should I only use plants that dig into the rocks or should I have some floating along the top of the water so the fish have hiding spots?

The 1.5 gallon tank has just one Betta while the other tank has 4 gold fish all doing well except the tank with the goldfish seem to never want to clear up even with treatments hopefully it the bacteria bloom goes away soon.

A 6 gal tank is to small for even 1 goldfish, I don't know why people do this! I expect your goldfish are comets?? Even if they are fantails they are going to get big. But I realy don't think they are going to live that long. I raise goldfish. A 55 gal. With excellent filter would max out 4 of my big fish. if you had 4 big fantails that would be a max in a 55. goldfish grow fast and produce a lot of waste. It looks like you are getting a lot of ammonia in your water. And you are probably over feeding. you also need a large filter for goldfish. People if you want goldfish get a 75gal.wide.2 filter system. My breeders are only 1/3 the size of there offspring. But it is done on purpose .So I can have more breeders in an area. You can not control the size of your fish goldfish grow and they grow large!

I test my water once a week the ammonia levels are good. And I put them in a 6 gallon tank knowing I'm getting a bigger tank later on. And the max size for the fish I got are 2.5 inches and I feed once a day. And I've had the same fish for the same amount of time I had the acaras.

Oh YEA! buy the way I DONT SELL ANY OF MY GOLDFISH THAT ARE GOING IN A FISHTANK. MY sign reads pond goldfish and turtles. Turtles I only Sell males,and if they are going in a tank the tank has to be min. 40gal breeder.

Where did I ask if you were selling your goldfish? Haha

And yes my water is good, the cloudiness is from the initial bacteria bloom and the fish have been doing fine for 30 days after letting the tank cycle for 7days prior. So are you going to try and answer my 2 questions or are you just going to keep acting like a know it all fish snob?

He is not "acting like a fish snob", you do not have a tank suitable for any of the fish you have had (alive or dead)!

We are a very welcoming forum, but we care about your fishkeeping experience AND your fish. I'm amazed any of your fish are still alive, we would like to keep them that way.

Do you truly understand the nitrogen cycle, I suspect your fish died from ammonia poisoning due to being in uncycled (if you didn't cycle or didn't understand how to cycle).

We're here to help, not judge, but please do some research on the fish you keep and how to keep them.

Here is a link to some information on getting started and the nitrogen cycle.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

I clearly stated that it was cycled for 7 days before I even put fish in the tank. And again I only bought those tanks because I am purchasing a bigger 75 gallon tank this week. Which I will cycle for a bit longer than 7 days. Probably up to 30. And I've asked pet store associates and googled quite a bit. My tanks are doing exactly what they're supposed to do. And the water if fine. I test it once a week. Yes I agree that I jumped the gun on putting the fish in a small tank but they're very well taken care of.

My only mistake was literally too many fish in one tank at a time. But the testing and cycles I did very thoroughly. My questions were literally about salt content for freshwater fish and live plants can you answer those questions for me. I like my fish better alive than dead also.

Now to answer your questions.

1. No do not add salt, most freshwater fish need no salt. Many very experienced fishkeepers don't use salt for any freshwater fish only brackish.

2. No IMHO there is no such thing as too many plants. However cichlids many redecorate your plants for you, especially in a small tank. Even in a 75 they will I had convicts and Jack Dempsey's in mine, that's why I now have rainbows and livebearers. I wanted a peaceful tank with lots of plants.

Read both links, thank you for the insight. That is what I came here for is help to make sure I will be able to keep them for 7-10 years. Now the problem I just noticed after reading that is I think I have a male and a female. So most likely I'll be getting more acaras soon. So I have to get this tank set up quickly so it can cyxle properly.

Not to be mean, cruel, or a "fish snob" but your fish are dying because of stress by being in stressed conditions. In an small tank you should test every day, it will change quickly. A bigger tank gives more water to dilute the ammonia and nitrites, do you show any nitrates?

Do you shake the bottles of nitrate test very vigorously,as per the instructions, if not testing is not accurate?

Again not to be mean but your fish are not cared for responsibly. You didn't do it on purpose, you truly care and are trying to take good care of them. We have all been through this, lfs will not give good info, they are selling you stuff. We here have nothing to gain by helping you.

Would not get any more fish until you get the big tank. Although fairly peaceful (for a cichlid) the acaras will be more aggressive in a confined space, if they pair up or try to claim territory.... Bloodbath.

Would consider rehoming the goldfish unless your getting two 75 gallon tanks. Many nano fish can be kept in a 10, many here would be glad to help stock. As I said before nothing you have,except the betta, is suitable for a 10.

Did you read the thread in post #6, lots of good info on getting started.
Sorry if you did, not sure if you meant you read that and the fish profiles or just the two fish profiles.
Research all you can, you are and will make mistakes. I just had a situation with my tank and my AC. Before that I treated for dropsy and Popeye. There is always something.

I showed nitrates on the the first test that I took 7 days after introducing the fish. I was told to get live plants to nullify that. So I did and the nitrates dropped dramatically. I put 3 live plants two floaters and a potted one. I do read the instructions on the testing kits. I am trying hard that's why I finally came to this site basically to see what other who do this for a living would suggest. I knew I'd eventually would be getting a bigger tank so that's why I did just the gun. I found a 75 gallon tank with stand for $75 so I jumped at that. Haha

As I told my kids I am not buying more fish but we're going to do our best with these fish. But in reading those links you sent me I found out how to notice the sex of the fish and low and behold I have one of each. They've been very peaceful so far even as far as hiding in the same spot. Water temp is at 79° which is good.

And also what do you recommend for a species to clean the tank. I had a ghost shrimp but it was eaten. I was thinking a pleco?

1498491505268.jpgPlecos are poop machines, produce as much as they clean.

IMHO you are your cleaning crew, water changes and responsible feeding. Don't want to overwhelm you, but feed lightly. I have snails and cory cats in my many tanks.

I breed and raise many kinds of snails( they won't take over if you don't overfeed) and me and my son breeds and raise salt and pepper corys, but my panda cory's are my favorite.

The cory on the right is a salt and pepper ( also called peppered) and the one on the left is a panda cory.

If you get Cory's wait till you get the bigger tank because they are a schooling fish and are more playful /less bashful in groups of 6 or more. They really shine in groups bigger, have 8 of each. Family loves watching them, but make sure your gravel is smooth or can damage their barbels (whiskers). Would not get the plecos, but if you do get a clown. Clown plecos stay small ~3", other species of plecos (there are mannnny) get big. The bigger they are the more they..... ?

Research otocinclus catfish, a nano sucker catfish. Only put in s established ( 2-3 months stable minimum ) tank, but could have a group of them (6+) and Cory cats in a 75.

Back
Top Bottom