Help a colorblind guy read API H2O test results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lksdrinker

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as the title implies; I am colorblind (and before anyone asks, no I dont see in black and white. Yes I can see the red,yellow and green of a traffic light. Essentially my problem is seeing the differences in slight variants of similar colors). So because of this I have trouble reading my water test results. I can see that the ammonia is a yellowish green, the nitrite is a bluish purple and the nitrate is orange(y). But I have a hard time telling the difference between say .50 and 1 ppm ammonia or .25-.5 ppm nitrite and so on.

How does everyone compare their test tubes to the API color chart? Do you hold the tube close to but not touching the card? If so do you hold it in front of the white section and next to the colors or directly over the colors? Or, do you hold it so its touching the card; and if so again do you hold it over the white section or directly over the color?

I hold the tubes in the white next to the colors. If you post pics of your test maybe we can read them for you. My brother has 2 forms of colorblindness so I totally understand.

I have found for nitrates... holding the tube slightly away from the white background and using daylight from the sun shows that the color is more deep orange then dark red... The dark red seems to show if I hold the kit directly against the white background...

However according to API they say to hold the tube directly against the white background... I dunno.. I get completetly different colors holding it against or 3/4 of an inch away.

I am not color blind at least that I know off, I have had many eye tests and never had anyone mention im color blind.. But I still have a hard time reading between 0 and .25ppm ammonia... If it looks .25ppm and I know the tank is well established I don't even pay attention to that... as long as its not .50

Thanks for the input. I might take you up on that offer of posting a picture once in a while Brennae; but for now I just hassle my wife to help me confirm the readings!

Back
Top Bottom