HELP! Algae Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Water?

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set my tank up about 4 months ago. In the last month I have started getting algae balls. I was told that emerald crabs would help, but they have only gotten a few. I think I have about 5 to 10, that I can see. I want to take then out, but I have heard that if they burst it can be horrible, so I afraid to touch them. I have also heard just to leave them alone it won't hurt anything. I DON"T LIKE THEM, AND WANT THEM GONE!

If you leave them alone, they will get larger and eventually burst on their own. If you gently try to roll the bubble off the rock, you can sometimes separate them from the rock without bursting them. If that doesn't work, you can put your siphon tube next to it during a water change, bust it, suck out the water around it, and then remove the "skin".

I think once you have bubble algae, you'll never really be rid of it. Mine was bad for a while, but I've gotten it down to a manageable level with manual removal. Never tried an Emerald Crab, but have heard they will take care of the small ones.

Back
Top Bottom