Help! Bacteria in my fishtank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharknot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There seems to be small white bacteria like things up against the glass in my fish tank. My fish tank is covered in them.
Any idea what it might be and how to get rid of them?

Attachments

• image-2031890056.jpg
    image-2031890056.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1948308043.jpg
    image-1948308043.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 86
Can we have more info like how long has the tank been set up. What are your water paramaters and stocklist.

I've had my tank for about a 6 months and I have an angel fish in it. I recently (about a month or two) got 4 mystery snails. I think my tank is a 20 gallon but I'm not really sure. I don't have any live plants, there all fake.

I've had my tank for about a 6 months and I have an angel fish in it. I recently (about a month or two) got 4 mystery snails. I think my tank is a 20 gallon but I'm not really sure. I don't have any live plants, there all fake.

Did the spots only show up after you got the snails? If so they might be eggs. Have you tried scrubbing them off? Are they soft and mushy or hard spots.

I zoomed in on your pics I had the same things if there almost like a mineral buildup look then they will go away with regular scrubbing and pwc's

They're not spots they are little white bacteria looking thingies that crawl like worms all along the glass.

Oh wow ok well I'm not sure about that then. I had some wiered hard white spots show up on my first tank after about 6 months of running so I thought it was what I dealt with. I'm not sure what it is then I'm sure someone a little more ecperianced will be able to help you out better than me. Sorry.

Look up planaria and nematode see if either of those are similar to what you have. It's just real hard to tell from those pics.

I don't think it was any of those. And I'm sorry that you can't see them from the picture. They're so incredibly small that it was hard to get a good picture of them. I almost missed them but I noticed them when I saw them moving.

So I guess what caused those little white things to come out on the glass of my fishtank was the fact that my filter stopped working and the water was still. When I replaced my filter, the little white things disappeared.

Makes sence lol I actually forgot to turn my canister on one time after a pwc for like 36hrs and the water was real cloudy so I dosed with accuclear and all of a sudden it looked like Spider-Man sneezed in my tank. I freaked out started testing the water doing a pwc and when I went back to shut the flow off :banghead: it was already off lol so I kicked it back on and in 15 min it was back to normal. We are human afterall.

lol that's great. I don't like putting those water clearers in my tank, it makes me feel like I'll harm my fishes. Doesn't seem natural.

Sounded like Planaria small white flat worms.....if they are moving all around the glass....it's something living.

Overfeeding will help cause this...or too much waste in the tank....a good cleaning would help get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom