Help Choosing New Fish for 20 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpertz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking for some help with choosing what fish to put into my Aquarium.

The aquarium is a long 20 Gallon 30" X 12" X 12"

I currently have 3 cory catfish, 1 cherry Platy and 1 Kohaku Swordtail.

I'm looking to add as many fish as I can within limit. Colourful, active and Hardy fish

I was thinking a few tetras or guppies and another 2 or 3 cory catfish

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

adding more cories of the same species would be a good start. a small school of tetras should work too.

I think you can add a few more cories, (same species) a school of 6 Neons, two more swordtails, and two more platies.
^that's a pretty general idea to get you started and to play around with.

You can really only keep one male swordtail in a tank. Males will fight. If you get pairs of swordtails, be prepared for lots of fry. Same with platies.

+1 for more cories.

BigJim has a great point with the Swordtail thing. (+1)
An alternative to the Neons could be Harlequins. They get a little bigger, but are really peaceful and hardy.

the reality with live-bearers like platies, is that unless you have some sort of predatory fish to eat the fry, you will end up with more fish than a small tank can hold.

My suggestion would be to get a few more of the same breed of corys, and look at a small school of very small tetra(ember tetras stay about 1.5", but can be hard to find in some areas) or perhaps some white cloud minnows.

I personally would not add any more live bearers or they will get BUSY!

Back
Top Bottom