Help! Common pleco floating on its side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulishafan90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought my pleco at petco 2 days ago and put it in my 35 gallon with 4 african rainbow and an orange swordtail. The pleco is small and it was eating algae off the walls then I decided to go get some algae tabs for it too eat. When I got home I saw it floating around the tank with the current and I thought it was dead so I picked it up with my net and it swam out... It keeps "fainting" then coming back, its been 4 hours and it is still alive. Is their anything I can do?

Sorry for your loss :(

If you could still post your tank parameters it may help in providing an explanation or prevent further losses...

Oh forgot about that... Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5 Ph 7.4 temp 79. I have 2 medium size plants in their with a 4 inch bubble stone at half air flow. 40 gallon biowheel filter and i did a gravel vac/water change 2 days before purchasing him.

Did u float the bag before you put him mine did the same way to its cause it was stressed

mulishafan90 said:
Oh forgot about that... Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5 Ph 7.4 temp 79. I have 2 medium size plants in their with a 4 inch bubble stone at half air flow. 40 gallon biowheel filter and i did a gravel vac/water change 2 days before purchasing him.

I'm so sorry for your loss mine is currently twelve inches and if he died... God rest my soul I probably would to but I want to warn you not to get another common pleco he will get so big especially if you feed him algae disks... It kinda makes me sad I can't get a125 tank a fifty is the best I can do for him and I know it's terribly small but I don't have the heart to get rid of him...
So just you may wanna save yourself the heart ache and get a bristle nose or rubber lip pleco
(by the way I only tell you this because he died if he was alive I would not have told you but IMO you don't want a pleco that will grow like 24" :/)

Here's a pic of mine he I huge and loves cucumber :hint::hint: (if you really want to make a pleco happy a cucumber is the way to go!!)

But again I'm so sorry for your loss my pleco means the world to me!

Attachments

• image-2076909008.jpg
    image-2076909008.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 226
Thanks for the info Tenacious, your pleco looks good! I really like those bristle nosed plecos. After research I decided I will purchase one in about a month, they get the perfect size for my 35 gallon. My LFS said it was most likely a swim bladder infection that took him... I tried

mulishafan90 said:
Thanks for the info Tenacious, your pleco looks good! I really like those bristle nosed plecos. After research I decided I will purchase one in about a month, they get the perfect size for my 35 gallon. My LFS said it was most likely a swim bladder infection that took him... I tried

My first fancy goldfish I got got that next time you suspect that feed them nothing but pees for a few days:) ad I'm like your decision! Good luck and be sure to post a pic in time when you get him

Back
Top Bottom