HELP!!! Fish and snail aren't doing too well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Llama_13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
None of your business :p (Southern hemisphere)
Hi all!

Yesterday I got 2 Halfbeaks and an Apple snail. Today I'm having some problems with them.....

My snail seemed happy yesterday, exploring and gorging himself on all my algae. This morning he had retreated into his shell and I know it's normal for him to retreat for a bit so I left him. I got back from school a few hours ago and he hadn't moved at all (it's been about 7 hours).
I thought he was dead/dying :shock:
I was really concerned so I removed him and did a few "tests" to see if he was okay (I gently pushed "door" - some resistance, when I picked him up I think he retreated a bit, and he doesn't smell). I put him in a separate container and gave him some cucumber to lure him out. He emerged, but hardly. He seemed to grip the cucumber but not do anything with it. I just lifted him (retreated again) and put him back in tank. Still hasn't moved, but at least he's alive? (Hopefully not dying) :(

Put 2 halfbeaks in tank as well. One sank down to bottom and died in 1 hour (extremely likely due to stress). Other one seemed fine. However, my Danios (now have 7 of them) are always having a squabble among themselves (any idea why? No food shortage and was told by aquarium shopkeeper tank was more then big enough). Anyway, one of them gave him a nip and he freaked and swam to bottom. Swam back to top, got nipped and now is still at bottom (but only for about 30-40 mins).
I am VERY concerned about him. Is it too stressful and busy for him in my tank? I'm going to get another one or two halfbeaks later-ish, but should I actually be returning my current one?

Please reply! I am extremely concerned about my fish and snail! I'm probably overreacting, but I want to ensure my aquarium is okay.

All replies and advice are much appreciated! :thanks: :smitten:

~~~~~

26-27°c (78-80° F)
Only fake plants, but lots of algae

In tank:
2 Zebra Loaches
7 Danios
4 Black Widow Tetras
1 Halfbeak fish
1 (unhappy) Apple snail

Parameters seem to be okay, doing water cycle tomorrow.

My snail is still not moving. Earlier today he turned what direction he was facing, but no activity seen besides that. See to have no appetite / not be grazing.

Halfbeak seems better, I moved my filter so it can hide above it and away from other fish. Danios seem to leave him alone, only the occasional peck. Appetite is good. Still not sure is I should get him a companion, or return/give him away (as I'm not sure if he will be happiest in my tank).

Thank you for replies and advice <3

Back
Top Bottom