Help fish dropping like flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all... I got a new betta 3 days ago who appeared perfectly healthy. Less than 10 hours after putting her into my sorority, I find her dead with torn fins and the others had eaten her guts. I thought maybe she was sick so they targeted her, or maybe they just killed her for no reason.. Yesterday my sorority "queen" died. Torn tail fin but nothing else. She had been perfectly fine three hours before I found her dead. This morning I woke up and thought one was dead, but she's just staying at the top with her mouth to the top. And yesterday another one was staying around the bottom, now she's staying at the top... I'm worried this is going to wipe out all my other girls. Please help!! 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates! I have added a little bit of extra Prime, Pimafix (for fungus incase), and stress coat. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd perform some water changes in case some type of contaminant got into the water. Any chances that any aerosol cleaners, air fresheners, etc.were used within the vicinity of the tank?

I'd perform some water changes in case some type of contaminant got into the water. Any chances that any aerosol cleaners, air fresheners, etc.were used within the vicinity of the tank?

+1

Or... There's the 24 hours strain of columnaris that could have came with the new betta. Would explain the sudden deaths.

Caleb

Nothing bad got in the tank. The new was seemed perfectly healthy. Nothing wrong with her :( I kept her I the cup overnight and she was still fine by morning. This sucks! In home again now, but I don't really want to go upstairs to find my 2 favorite bettas dead :/

:( as I feared, they are both dead.. Noticed a little bit of white "fuzzy" near the head of one of them this morning..

Its cholumnaris.... Start treatment ASAP. furan2 and kana.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tis the season.

It really is the season! Me and bandit were talking like maybe the warm summer weather has an impact in its prevalence in the trade during the summer. I mean obviously look, I've seen more cases this summer than ever! I had it myself! Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Caleb

I beginning to wonder if theres a dormant strain that pops up when the season hits and temps/tank conditions arrise it becomes active.... Theres been alot of chatter in the ag field abt strains of cholumnaris lasting for a yr .. I dont personally know. But the uptick in cases is alarming.

I beginning to wonder if theres a dormant strain that pops up when the season hits and temps/tank conditions arrise it becomes active.... Theres been alot of chatter in the ag field abt strains of cholumnaris lasting for a yr .. I dont personally know. But the uptick in cases is alarming.

A year??? Oh boy. I'd much rather just do a tear down and clean everything...

Caleb

*ring ring* calling bandit!

My money is on columnaris.

Caleb

Yeah, somebody on Instagram just told me the same thing. Seems to match. So what's the best treatment? Atm I just have two home raised young bettas and some algae eaters.

Kana and furan2... Treat according to bottles instructions. These 2 have been the best bet lately.

Agree with all the posts here. Just battled a bout of columnaris myself. Lost 18 fish before I got it under control. I treated with Seachem Kanaplex and Hikari BiFuran Plus. All fish are back to normal now and no deaths in 3 weeks.

Jesse

Kana and furan2... Treat according to bottles instructions. These 2 have been the best bet lately.

Will I need to take the tank apart, or will this do it? Also, will they die with no hosts (the fish)?

It is not even new that columnaris last long just more fish are being infercted.
I think it is "global warming" related?? but I am not a tree hugger(I like trees).
I am a all med guy saying throw the natural crap out the window at 55mph!(don't litter!)
On page 200(links starts on page 199) it clearly states several years!!!
http://www.glfc.org/pubs/SpecialPubs/sp83_2/pdf/chap23.pdf
Not really a long read at all.
Kannaplex and furan 2 like Poppa said for all who are not on the PP band wagon!
Tomorrow I pp my main tank as usual (weekly) andI change water on Sun!.
You have to kill columnaris just like ich.
If you don't it will kill all your fish!
Columnaris can be slow and fuzzy and un noticeable and fast!
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html
Good luck cherokeeluvr and sorry for your bettas.

My entire stock of 31, minus 1 or 2 fish, were showing symptoms so I went ahead and treated in the display tank. Make sure you have plenty of water conditioner on hand too, as you'll need to be doing several large wc's over the next little while haha

Jesse

I boarded the pp station yrs ago. Thanks mom. You coukd tear down the tank, sanitize, and reboot. Or you could treat the tank accordingly with meds. Hope this issue gets better fir you. If ya need anything ask away... If i dont know the answer, coral will.... If coral doesnt know the answer, then jeebus help us all.

P.S. Were obviously not the only ones that can answer questions correctly.... Just being a goofball.

This sounds like such a mess... I was debating wether I should qt the new fish but I was lazy and decided not to.. Biggest mistake ever.. Time for lots of research! No stores around me have the medicine, so I guess if this rate keeps up, they will all be dead by the time I can get medicine. These are the times when I really wish I didn't have a planted tank!

Back
Top Bottom