Help fish dropping like flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Qt your still living fish. Tear down and reboot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Qt your still living fish. Tear down and reboot.

Ok... Yippee... Once/if all the fish die, will the bacteria die?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Planted tanks seem to cause a HUGE problem for many fish issues IMO.
The largest is keepers care more about plants then their fish!
You got to decide for yourself what you value more ,no sin on which side you fall,but good luck with treatments sometimes!
On the bright side PP(potassium permagante) is a commonly used plant disinfectant!
If you can't find meds on line and are interested in PP I have some to sell and many links on it's use along with a thread that could use some updating?
I cured columnaris (the 24 hour your dead strain) with PP and this is why I have it and have researched it so much.

I am sorry to tell ALL of you who have cured this issue that MANY links suggest(strongly) never having these fish in a community setting as they may be "in active carriers".
This is the case of MOST bacterial issues in all honesty though!

Planted tanks seem to cause a HUGE problem for many fish issues IMO.
The largest is keepers care more about plants then their fish!
You got to decide for yourself what you value more ,no sin on which side you fall,but good luck with treatments sometimes!
On the bright side PP(potassium permagante) is a commonly used plant disinfectant!
If you can't find meds on line and are interested in PP I have some to sell and many links on it's use along with a thread that could use some updating?
I cured columnaris (the 24 hour your dead strain) with PP and this is why I have it and have researched it so much.

I am sorry to tell ALL of you who have cured this issue that MANY links suggest(strongly) never having these fish in a community setting as they may be "in active carriers".
This is the case of MOST bacterial issues in all honesty though!

Planted tanks are so great, until this!! Atm the plants are more expensive than the fish since I'm down to two, so I'd rather save the plants than fish. That's good news about PP, glad you were able to cure it! And your saying to not keep female bettas in a community because they're likely to get it?

This;

You may medicate a beloved sick fish if you wish, but don't return to a community aquarium a fish that has "recovered" from symptoms of bacterial disease once its outward symptoms have been alleviated. "Dropsy" is a case in point. Sometimes a fish recovers enough from a bout of severe ascites to lead an outwardly-normal life. Then the "cured" fish is returned to the community aquarium, where it may become a sub-clinical carrier of bacteria, free of visible symptoms. A sub-clinical carrier remains a source of infection for all your other fish. When it dies quietly among the plants, a couple of months after the episode of "dropsy," the two events may not seem connected. Initial quarantine, even a full four weeks' time, may not be long enough to identify weakened fish that are bacterial carriers before they enter your system. It's quite probable that all your fish have already been exposed to a variety of bacteria that could be pathogenic, given the right circumstances

Is taken from;
Bacterial infections | The Skeptical Aquarist
Just a mention and not actually set in stone.
Although two betta may still seem uninfected IMO they are as all others are/were?
If they are not infected then they have a stronf=ger immune system then the others IMO but still could be host to the infection.

This;

You may medicate a beloved sick fish if you wish, but don't return to a community aquarium a fish that has "recovered" from symptoms of bacterial disease once its outward symptoms have been alleviated. "Dropsy" is a case in point. Sometimes a fish recovers enough from a bout of severe ascites to lead an outwardly-normal life. Then the "cured" fish is returned to the community aquarium, where it may become a sub-clinical carrier of bacteria, free of visible symptoms. A sub-clinical carrier remains a source of infection for all your other fish. When it dies quietly among the plants, a couple of months after the episode of "dropsy," the two events may not seem connected. Initial quarantine, even a full four weeks' time, may not be long enough to identify weakened fish that are bacterial carriers before they enter your system. It's quite probable that all your fish have already been exposed to a variety of bacteria that could be pathogenic, given the right circumstances

Is taken from;
Although two betta may still seem uninfected IMO they are as all others are/were?
If they are not infected then they have a stronf=ger immune system then the others IMO but still could be host to the infection.

English bandit!

So if a fish has recovered from a bacterial infection they can still carry it weeks after recovery?

Caleb

This;

Is taken from;

Ok, hadn't thought about not putting them back before. Yes, the other two are healthy at this point, but so were all of the others a few hours or days before their deaths. I have a feeling the other two won't make it...

English bandit!

So if a fish has recovered from a bacterial infection they can still carry it weeks after recovery?

Caleb
If I read/interpret it correctly ,not weeks,but forever!
It also says last sentence that many fish may have already been exposed before we ever acquired them,so all fish could be a roll of the dice.

This is also believed true with several marine disease also.

Caleb, hes referring to inactive or dormant carrier.

They get reintroduced with 0 signs of issue, but still carry the issue. Illnesses can be carried and spread by a living thing that never affects the carrier itself.

They get reintroduced with 0 signs of issue, but still carry the issue. Illnesses can be carried and spread by a living thing that never affects the carrier itself.

So it'd probably almost be better if they all died so it wouldn't get introduced after it was treated?

Can all fish carry it? None of my algae eaters or my Amano seem effected (yet)

So like the host who's immune to his own disease. Strange bro...

This is why I leave diseases to you guys lol

Caleb

Last edited:
Atleast i think thats what he was getting at. I dont want to speak for coral.

Many carriers of infection show no signs.
This is true even in humans!
I can't say with certainty that a fish is "never" recovered,or it is carrier.
I wonder months/years later if I am dealing with same thing still,same thing again or something I haven't found the right treatment for?
Maybe I "cured " my issue but a survivor is a carrier?
I really can't make the call but the option and chances are there is all I mention.
I cured my columnaris outbreak that help to educate me and did not have a loss in the tank and fish in question for over 8 months before I culled all the fish.
They were breeding stock(swordtails) I could never sell to anyone with good faith.
Possibly this issue would have come back in another season or so?
The over a year life is when it "winters" and then becomes "dormant".
Columnaris loves HEAT!
This is a part of summer is columnaris season IMO even in aquariums.

Should I unplug my heater if they love heat?

Yay! Apparently the bacteria can only last 32 days without a host! So once all my fish are moved out or have died, it shouldn't be too bad.

Also just realized another bad thing that happened to me. By the time I found the first dead fish, the other had already eaten her guts, which apparently will result in internal infection... I know for sure that one of my remaining survivors was picking at the carcass, so that makes me worried about her survival... This sounds awful. So mad this happened to me!!!

Back
Top Bottom