Help fish dying....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couture99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, we have had a 200 gallon tank set up for over 3 years. About 6 months ago woke up to find all my larger healthy fish dead we lost our regal tang, brown tang, a trigger, and our coral beauty... Phoned our tank service guy.. He came out immediately( on a Sunday morn) to ck parameters. Everything was good, and all if our inverts and more susceptible fish were swimmining happily. Decided at that time must have been a freak lack of oxygen over night as nothing else seemed to make sense...
Anyways on boxing day I purchased a new regal and a butterfly angel from our lfs the tang didn't look to happy immediately after we got so started treating him for ick, within a couple of weeks though my other fish started appeared to have black pots. Fish guy said black ick, and we started treating with antibiotic like stuff( smells like vicks)
The tang and angelfish died about two weeks ago. Fish store replaced tang, buy he died within 4 dsys..Now I have an orange dottyback that has bulging eyes is breathing rapidly, and looks like he's on his last legs. I know quarantine is best bet, but we have been unable to catch him.... Anything we can try?
I'm unsure of parameters as maintenance is done by lfs... Stores are closed here for the day, but will be picking up test kits asap...
As a side note same day tang was introduced, we had a strange thing happen to... Our maintenance guy was here(same guy who has been doing tank for last 2 years) did water change ect... All the tiny brittle stars started literally climbing out of tank and then spawning. I dosed with prime, as I am sure something was up... And after about 1/2 hour they settled down and climbed back onto live rock.

weird. sorry about the losses!
poison? who puts their hands in the tank?
stray voltage? ever get a shock when your hands are in the tank with bare feet?
is this a reef or fish only?
temp swings?
any reactors or dosers on the tank?

No shock, only the fish guy or myself. We have a snowflake eel that feed with tongs... So I don't usually put my hand in the water... Dottyback looks to have lost a lot of color over night looks blotchy.. Everyone else seems fine... Corals are all out and happy...other fish seem ok today, but dont want to wake up and find anyone else dead. Temp is steady as always...

Attachments

• image-2398939502.jpg
    image-2398939502.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 136
dosers or calcium reactor malfunctioning? i don't know any parasite that will kill multiple fish overnight.

Pretty sure with the multiple fish that died over night it was lack oxygen as they were all larger fish and appeared healthy and happy! It was a shock to see them laying there in the morning.
I am concerned about the rest of my fish as I'm sure some parasite or disease seems to be killing them off... The dottyback did not make it through the night... It does not look like normal ick which is the only thing we have had to deal with prior, and it is a long weekend here...
The fins of all fish who have recently passed seem to be covered in a cobweb type film and then within a day or two show signs of labored breathing... I have a yellow tang who about a month ago had tiny black specks covering body- treated food with stuff that smells like vicks and she has recovered fully, i am thinking I need to treat the entire tank but with what...

Back
Top Bottom