Help , fish dying ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salou fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. My sisters shark has recently developed bright red lines on its fins. It keeps swimming up and down in the same spot.
All the other fish look fine. ( Guppies and bottom feeder )
Water levels have been tested and is perfect. But the pet shop people haven't got a clue what's wrong with it.
I really hope someone here can help! Don't want it to suffer.
Thanks.
( ill try and get a photo from my sister )

Salou fish, I'm posting more to let you see your words are being read, but for now you need to provide more information like: what kind of fish, what are the perfect water conditions, how long your sisters tank has been up and running, and is this fish a recent addition to the tank. In addition to that information, I would ask if you have a spare tank should it be required to issolate the fish. Help us help you. PP

Hi sorry.

She has had the tank up and running for over 2 years. And the shark has been with her for the same period. No new additions. I really don't know the breed , I'm still waiting for her to forward me a photo so that I can post it.
I have seen it and it seems that the redness is from where the body meets the fins.
She took some water to get tested at the pet store but they don't give you a print out with the reading of the water. They just come out of the office with a chart and show you that all is ok. Sorry that I can't give you more info but hopefully the photo might help. Thank you for being patient and understanding.

image-3662359478.jpg that's the best she could so. But if you look at the it close enough you can see the redness.

research is needed, but if memory serves me this fish can grow very large (more than 8 inches in length) and that suggests her tank should be large...and I believe this species likes to be with a school and not a alone one of its kind in the tank. It is a hardy fish, and red in fins is suggestive but I don't like to treat fish without being very sure an illness symptom is correct. I do suggest you and or she research you fish and it's symptoms, but please don't treat an illness less your sure it is an illness. I have to much research I have going at this time to pursue this in depth...and hope others with Bala experience will give this a touch. PP

I have been researching the net and found out that it might be septicaemia...... I think we might have to get intouch with a vet ..... They might have some sort of an idea. But thank you so very much for taking your time. We really appreciate it.

:( Salou fish, it would be best to consider a few points about disease search...things to consider are: how long has this problem existed (the disease you mentioned is most contageous and others in the tank would show a problem which you said there are none) This problem you mention is considered rare and it doesn't hurt to get other opinions before making a final conclusion...My reluctance to search should suggest get other opinions before any action is taken. This condition must have existed a little time before now, and important time is, but a jump to conclusions can be costly in both time and money...not to mention if your wrong you must start over again...and that causes people to drop out of the hobby in frustration....I don't seek to cause that so please think before you react. PP

I still would like to know what water parameters exists, for the fact that she has no test kit suggests conditions could be bad, and worth spending the thrity dollars for the master kit if it saves the life of the fish. I personally don't trust anyone that don't test in my presents and let me watch the evaluation and see the color match. Oh it won't hurt to do 20% a partial water change, but treat water with tap water condtioner or prime, before putting into tank. Since the symptoms you offer does include Ammonia Poisoning and the change won't hurt either way. PP

Oh yes of course. That's why we are going to get in touch with a vet.maybe they can put us in contact with someone who has more info regarding Bala sharks. As this problem has been there for a few days. I clearly understand the necessity to investigate and do some more research. I have already set up another tank for it. In case we need it. Just waiting for it to get ready.
I really don't want to jump into conclusion that's why I came to this site as there are a lot of people on here that might be able to help. The more input and info I can get the better really.
PP thank you so much for taking time to explain things to me. My sister is 7 months pregnant and taking care of her fish is a little demanding at this moment , as she has to be bed rested. So I'm taking over for her.
I'll keep a close eye on everything. I'll let you know what the vet says.

We appreciate all your help. A big hug from all of us. Xx

Salou fish, It is nice that you help your sister at this time she needs it. I live in America where there are so many professional persons that you call a vet (veterinarian), that would care for or answer qurestions about a fish and it's illness...I don't know what they would be called here, or if such a person exists...I know or have heard there is pathology labs mostly at universities that study fish...but I don't know of their title, and if anyone who views this post knows the answer please help for I would like to know...and live in Texas. I don't have a 10gallon hat, but I do have a few 10 gallon tanks.
:whistle: PP

Thank you. Got a phone number from the vet to get in touch with the aquarium in Barcelona. Haven't been able to get intouch with them. But I'll keep trying.
PP : I hope someone has a number for you. I hope you'll never need it.
Again thank you for all your help.

I'm not needing a fish doctor, and just wanted to know what they would be called here in America....Would like to know what your fish doctor concludes is the problem, for unless you can provide water perameters as they exist I don't see how anyone can provide and answer to your sisters problems. PP

I haven't seen mentioned any actual numbers for

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH

Even tank size would help a little.

Jon

jondamon, he hasn't give that information, and like you we need that to evaluate what could be the problem with the shark. Personally I have seen where he did match one of the two symptoms (blood redness in the fin and along body side. But on the site I found that same information match it stated the symptoms also match ammonia poisoning. So Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia, along whith PH is what we need to know, and so would any vet of his worth. Thank you jondamon, for putting into plan words that I forgot too.
(y) PP

Hi guys. So here's the latest.

Got water retested and my sister had an ammonia spike from here to the moon ! She hasn't been able to do any w/c for a while.
Took the water to another pet shop and they said that allot of customers weren't satisfied with the service of our usual pet shop.
Any way managed to sort out the ammonia. Done a 50% change and a daily 10% change.
Did put the Bala in another tank which seems to be doing him good. Time will tell.

Again thank you all for your input you have me more advice than the bloody aquarium in Barcelona.
Oh and I'm a girl not a guy. Hahaha
?

Back
Top Bottom