Help - freshwater larvae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbtars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

This morning i found a larvae eating my plants.
Can you help my identify ?

thanks
David

Attachments

• image-3653693863.jpg
    image-3653693863.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 110
Least not all those larvae species are incurable but it looks like they are not easy to get rid of where did u get ur plants

Hi Gabriel,

I got the plants in a well known aquatic plants shop. I spoke to the owner and showed him the picture. he was surprised and never saw this before.

David

Ya everything i read seemed like they got them from plant out of a river weird aquariums are always a surprise. That larva forum looks like a good place to start with ur issue defiantly not ur typical issue good luck i cant wait to see what u find out

i will try to post question in the site, though i dont see where is the forum ?

Idk the site looked like it was that sort of place im sorry im i was wrong maybe its just one guy answering larva question

I'd definatly take it or any others out that u see in there asap it also said turn ur water flow up spices like that like stagnant water

well the answer was very short :

"Mmm, an intermediate form/metamorphosis of some aquatic insect, and
<Yes, I would. An acetylcholinesterase inhibitor... As you'll read... an
insecticide. Bob Fenner>"

very very basic response . :(

i sent a reply to this email asking more questions.

using insecticides in an aquarium is not a good idea. even if i dont have fish yet.

insecticides are dam dangerous even to people so to small fish if they remain in aquarium its dam deadly.

i will forward the response.

no. this one appeared 10 days after i started the tank. if there are more eggs , i would probably see more in a few days.

The answer i got yesterday to my second email was very laconic too. use insecticides. i don't like the idea at all.

i will wait a bit more time before introducing fish.
i am in no rush, i rather have a well balanced planted tank than a non stable one due to incorrect usage of insecticides.

i am not going to take so drastic measures like adding toxic chemicals to the tank. no way. it will probably kill the bio-filter and do some other harmful stuff. i don't have gravel. I use Red Sea Flora Base substrate. and any chemicals might penetrate this substrate. (though acetylcholine inhibitors usually self decompose within a few days)

i think its much safer to wait and be patient than interfere the cycle of nature.

Back
Top Bottom