Help: I Just Got a New Betta And He Is having Trouble Swimming!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if you have high ammonia, nitrite or nitrates it could kill him. I suggest you do 50% water chances once (or twice) a day until you get a test kit. Anything over .25 ppm is lethal for ammonia or nitrites (iirc) and anything over 40 is lethal for nitrates.

Maybe this link will help explain it better: Nitrogen Cycle

Don;t get test strips as they are innacurate and will be more expensive in the long run. Get this : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/3635493 this is the cheapest I have seen it. It lasts a long time and is much more accurate.

Ok! But I just changed his water at 3 PM isn't that ok? This doesn't make sense... its not dirty its fresh water... same as all the other changes.

Well if you have high ammonia, nitrite or nitrates it could kill him. I suggest you do 50% water chances once (or twice) a day until you get a test kit. Anything over .25 ppm is lethal for ammonia or nitrites (iirc) and anything over 40 is lethal for nitrates.

Maybe this link will help explain it better: Nitrogen Cycle

Don;t get test strips as they are innacurate and will be more expensive in the long run. Get this : Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish this is the cheapest I have seen it. It lasts a long time and is much more accurate.

I think lethal is a bit strong.. maybe over 1ppm ammonia/nitrite, and 120-160ppm nitrate. Toxic or poisonous might be closer.

But Would I have an issue with that tright now? I changed the water like 4 hours ago...

I think you should be fine. Just watch for signs of distress. Too many water changes can also be a bad thing at times.

Alright. I covered his tank with a towel so its dark (I'm hoping to calm him.) He was nudging at the sides of his cage so I was starting to think he was seeing his reflection and was getting all worked up. I took a peek at him a minute ago and he seems calmer.

Do you have enough plants/decor in there for him? Fish like security, whether fake or real. Even though I am sure they prefer real plants. I know that bettas need soft silk plants so they don't rip their fins.

I don't at the moment cause I was trying to watch for poo and stuff. But I think I will put on in there today. He is rubbing on the sides or the tank a lot though (at least I think he is) So Now I am thinking parasite?

Nope no pineconeing its not dropsy. I just put him in 1 gal of spring water that has been treated ( So no chems I hope) and I added a small filter and I also am still heating the water I put back in the rock and the plant. I am hoping he gets better... :C

For the record, I've never seen my betta poop. But he's healthy as a horse.

Really? I haven't seen my betta poop but I clean it up. :p There was nuthin' in the tank this morning though. I put the filter in and he is doing a lot better. I also took some of my tank water and put it in there hoping it would help out with the amonia and such.

Hey Guys I just wanted to thank you for all the help that you have given me! I signed up on other fish forums and you guys are by far the most helpful anf kind people of all of them. I am kinda being ignored on the other ones for the most part. Lol. Sad.

UPDATE -

So his tank is now at 78 and has 4 inches of water for his ease. It has been decholrinated and I gave him a pea 2 days ago. He was fasted for one day and is swimming like a normal fishy. His spine is nice and straight and he seems to love displaying his fins to me. :D So I am happy he is making an improvement. But his swimbladder is still swollen and he isn't pooping as much as I think he should be. So I am fasting him again today... but I was thinking maybe He needs another pea. What do you think?

If you fast him he will not have anything to poop out. I'm surprised he will eat a pea. He must be starving. How do you know the swimbladder is swollen? That would probably make it float.

He is puffy there. If you look on some of the old top view picks it shows it. I am giving him real food tomorrow. I feel bad for not feeding him but I just want to make sure he is better first.

Once he's past this, try adding some "greens" to his diet at least once a week. I would feed mine algae flakes twice a week and never had bloating issues.

Back
Top Bottom