Help! I think i gassed my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beeritself

Aquarium Advice Activist
Free the water change, my filter didn't kick back on, but my co2 did. My Cardinal tetras have died and my discus are gasping at the surface. I've already changed the water again. Should I do it again?

Is the co2 off? I would put a few air stones in to increase surface agitation. If your filter is back on lower the water level to help oxygenate the water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I shut off the co2 and did 2 water changes. I guess it's just a waiting game now. My clown loaches are looking rough and my discus are still at the top of the tank.

Not sure what really happened.. no flow just co2??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doubt it was the co2 unless it some how reached like 60+ppm in that short time period?

It shouldn't have. My ph is around 6.8 right now too. I don't know what happened. Hopefully this discus(es) and clown loaches will pull through.

Gassed does not sound right... too quick an onset.. revisit water prep and all that??

Last edited by a moderator:
Gassed does not sound right... to quick an onset.. revisit water prep and all that?? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did the same water change I do twice a week, nothing different. 50% with a python hooked to my hose, then some water conditioner and some flourish excel. I posted in my local aquarium club and it was suggested that it was the county water. Apparently they have upped their chloramine due to heavy rain and heat. I doubled my de-chlorinator. I'm just going to have it wait it out.
It's annoying - wiped out all 10 of my cardinal tetras. My 3 clown loaches are looking like they won't make it. I haven't seen my flying foxes since the water change and my discus are lethargic. Hopefully they recover.

Have you tested your ammonia? I believe gasping is a sign of ammonia poisoning, and if the chloramines where increased it could have liked off some of your BB. They might have died/been stressed from the increased chloramines, but it wouldn't hurt to test.

Have you tested your ammonia? I believe gasping is a sign of ammonia poisoning, and if the chloramines where increased it could have liked off some of your BB. They might have died/been stressed from the increased chloramines, but it wouldn't hurt to test. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ammonia was at 0, as were the nitrates and nitrites (which kind of confuses me - I have a planted tank. I thought I would have some nitrates). My ph was at 6.8.

Did you test the trates after the water changes? If so you could have removed them. From my understanding of discus is that you want minimal trates so 2 waterchanges in a row could lower them depending on how big the pwc's where.

If you tested before the pwc's your plant load could be greater than the amount of trates being produced.

What is your normal pH for the tank, and just to understand correctly, you checked it since the pwc?

Sometimes there can be a pH crash. If you don't have enough KH.

It does sound like the Chloramines is a possibility. But which dechlor are you using?

I'm thinking chloramines too. Especially if the water is coming in untreated, could have been a couple minutes of exposure there before the conditioner did it's thing.

Some times and correct me if I'm wrong, could be as simple as the temperature of the water you put in, I also treat the first bucket of water before dumping it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure about the brand of de chlorinator I am using. I'm open to suggestions. This ore deal sure makes an RO/DI unit look like a wise investment.

Back
Top Bottom