Help ID- color and pattern changing gourami!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
:confused::confused::confused: I am baffled... I have asked before about this one, I agree, it's a paradise gourami, I moved the little one away from my male betta, and I didn't get pictures, but it went back to looking like a golden brownish snakeskin... That being said, he is now cycled back into my holder with my male betta holders and this is what happened within minutes

Is it possible that this is a breedable female? Am I right in my assuming that they are like their betta relatives in that the more wild born type females are a drab brownish color with horizontal line until ready for breeding, and then flash zebra striping brighter coloring?:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Anyone wanna chime in here? I thank you guys in advance for any info you have on this topic, and the possibility of mating and parameters around that... Sorry for my ignorance!! :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Attachments

• 2012-12-29_15-23-46_837.jpg
    2012-12-29_15-23-46_837.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 2012-12-29_15-24-42_792.jpg
    2012-12-29_15-24-42_792.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 2012-12-29_15-24-34_331.jpg
    2012-12-29_15-24-34_331.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 2012-12-29_15-23-31_10.jpg
    2012-12-29_15-23-31_10.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 109
sorry about the poor quality and I know I need to wipe down the holder, lol, I'm in the middle of rearranging fish in feature tanks.

Much more likely the presence of the betta is stressing the gourami which is known to cause faded colours

I have an adult paradise gourami and a 3 spot. I've had this little one for 5 months or so. It was given to me by a local pet store when they decided to stop carrying live aquaria as a "dwarf honey snakeskin gourami of some sort". When he/she was in q/t I had set up a 1g filtered tank in my bathroom to observe him/her. Of course being from a pet store that KNEW they couldn't handle fish there was a lot of acclimating for the poor thing, the water he came in was slightly yellow and had protein or diatom floaties, was only about 50 degrees F and he was bleached out looking. I nursed him back to health and his color came in, making him look like a golden DG, but I could see the snakeskin looking pattern, slightly. He is much smaller than my other paradise and my 3 spot and he quickly was removed from that tank and put into feature tank rotation. "It" still hasn't grown any, I think growth may have been stunted, and as I've said, I do believe it to be a paradise gourami, I'm just wondering if it's flashing mating colors and if so should I set up a breeder bucket and give it a shot with my male paradise...

I have an adult paradise gourami and a 3 spot. I've had this little one for 5 months or so. It was given to me by a local pet store when they decided to stop carrying live aquaria as a "dwarf honey snakeskin gourami of some sort". When he/she was in q/t I had set up a 1g filtered tank in my bathroom to observe him/her. Of course being from a pet store that KNEW they couldn't handle fish there was a lot of acclimating for the poor thing, the water he came in was slightly yellow and had protein or diatom floaties, was only about 50 degrees F and he was bleached out looking. I nursed him back to health and his color came in, making him look like a golden DG, but I could see the snakeskin looking pattern, slightly. He is much smaller than my other paradise and my 3 spot and he quickly was removed from that tank and put into feature tank rotation. "It" still hasn't grown any, I think growth may have been stunted, and as I've said, I do believe it to be a paradise gourami, I'm just wondering if it's flashing mating colors and if so should I set up a breeder bucket and give it a shot with my male paradise...

Google it, it's a paradise... Very clearly! I promise!! ;)

Hopefully these pics post- yet again this paradise gourami is fascinating me with it's chameleon like color changes

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130111_171839.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130111_171839.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20130111_172240.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130111_172240.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom