Help ID shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought 3 Ghost Shrimp, but I've heard that other shrimp can be sold as Ghosties while being another kind. I just want to double check if I do indeed have Ghost Shrimp. Sorry about the picture quality.

Attachments

• DSC01471.jpg
    DSC01471.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01472.jpg
    DSC01472.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01473.jpg
    DSC01473.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC01474.jpg
    DSC01474.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 94
Thanks neilanh, can they become fin nippers? I read they are peaceful, but now my Betta has pieces of fin missing.

They have been known to grab bettas fins with their little pinchers, Sometimes its just to tempting to the shrimp.

I would recommend getting more cover for the shrimps and betta. You could do a hollow decoration for the shrimp. My driftwood has little tunnels in it and my amano shrimp never come out (only at feeding time.) Or you could recplace the shrimp with more none pinchy species, like amano and/or Red cherry shrimp.

If you put in a shrinking pellet food for the shrimps they should never really look at the betta. I've never seen my shrimp go for any fish. My Ghosties don't use cover, ever... Even in the puffer tank (and he eats them).

Two of the three shrimp hide most of the time and the other one (biggest) swims around without fear. My driftwood has a cave big enough for them, yet they tend to just hide behind the driftwood near the Java Moss and Amazon Sword. From time to time they go hide behind the lava rock which also has Java Moss.

The problem may lie in the fact that my Betta sleeps on the gravel so he's an easy target. He traded the Amazon Sword leaves for the gravel. My goal is to buy RCS's.

I will definitely try adding food for the shrimp to keep them busy. Btw you have some brave fearless Ghosties Tim.

Thanks for the Advice...

Good luck. :)

Algae wafers (like you would feed plecos) are ideal for this if you want to try them. Be careful not to overfeed though. Drop the pellet somewhere where you can see it and see how long it takes before it is fully eaten. Yeah, if he does sleep on the gravel it's possible this does happen...

also ghost shrimp really are a bunch of different glass shrimp all with one common name. just like some need bw to breed others breed in fw. some are better hunters then others.

if you need help finding red cherry shrimp pm me know i am in so cali also.

Back
Top Bottom