Help ID This Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought this Oscar two days ago. I need help iding him. He was labeled as a tiger oscar. I know that's wrong. I was thinking maybe a mix between a red and a tiger maybe. Named him mutt lol. ;)

ForumRunner_20120422_143503.jpg

ForumRunner_20120422_143559.jpg

Also he's been quite the little drama queen. He's done nothing but sulk since I added him. I'm starting to worry a little.

Water parameters are stable at:
Ph 8.1
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate about 20.
78°f

I've been keeping the light off in hopes he'll perk up a little.

Posting a few more pics so someone hopefully will help I.d. him.

ForumRunner_20120422_232118.jpg

ForumRunner_20120422_232209.jpg

He still looks like a tiger Oscar. If anything, I see a tiger Oscar with a color morph. Interested to see if I'm right?!?!

I thought he was cool looking and didn't really put to much thought behind it when I bought him. :-/ I now have four Oscars. Ahh!

An update on his behavior;
He's swimming around happily and is eating well. Getting somewhat along with my slightly larger albino. :)

I thought he was cool looking and didn't really put to much thought behind it when I bought him. :-/ I now have four Oscars. Ahh!

An update on his behavior;
He's swimming around happily and is eating well. Getting somewhat along with my slightly larger albino. :)
Just looks like a pretty Tiger Oscar to me. The extra markings are just some lucky color morph I suppose.

Glad he's doin' ok, those Oscars are really pretty fish!!

It's not a color morph, it's a ordinary tiger Oscar. What you see today will not be be recognizable when it's a adult, they will change drastically over the next 9-12 months. You should not buy oscars based on their juvie patterns rather purchase on their behavior, like being energetic, begging for food, and being slightly aggreesive.

Looks like a tiger oscar to me, they have such interesting patters when they're little. He's a beauty.

Oscars are terribly addictive. We have 3 right now, and if I could find space for another monster tank we'd probably end up with even more. :)

HUKIT said:
It's not a color morph, it's a ordinary tiger Oscar. What you see today will not be be recognizable when it's a adult, they will change drastically over the next 9-12 months. You should not buy oscars based on their juvie patterns rather purchase on their behavior, like being energetic, begging for food, and being slightly aggreesive.

Well I can honestly say I did. All of my Oscars were healthy and happy when I first got them. All energetic, begging for food, and aggressive. The color pattern just was an added bonus I guess.

Thank you for the advice and Id. :)

LittleFoot said:
Looks like a tiger oscar to me, they have such interesting patters when they're little. He's a beauty.

Oscars are terribly addictive. We have 3 right now, and if I could find space for another monster tank we'd probably end up with even more. :)

Quick question, how big is ur tank with the 3 Oscars? I have two in my 90 and was kinda wanting to put this guy in with my black tigers and rehome my albino. If I get rid of the Pleco I'm still not sure that's a good idea. What did you think?

Back
Top Bottom