Help Identifying Cichlid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chad Roehrich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have had a planted Peacock/Hap tank running for months now with no issues. I added 3 new fish a few days ago and I have been finding numerous bits in leaves. I mean tons. Every time I pull up a chair, nobody wants to reveal themselves(VERY FRUSTRATING). I was told this was a non-plant destroying Hap, but I'm wondering now if its a mbuna. Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mystery Cichlid

Here you go. I thought I attached it the first time.

Attachments

• 20160319_212830.jpg
    20160319_212830.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160319_212827.jpg
    20160319_212827.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160316_204456.jpg
    20160316_204456.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 84
I'm not sure what that is, definitely looks Mbuna

Looks like you made some odd choices for a planted tank. I'd stick with the blue acara and ditch all the peacocks and Mbuna, otherwise you can kiss all those plants goodbye lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll definitely be getting rid of the mbuana. And you'd be surprised how well peacocks do in a planted tank. I'm not sure why some people think peacocks destroy plants. I feel like as soon as people here African Cichlids, they automatically assume plant destruction, even though Africans is a very broad spectrum of fish. Everyone I have talked to who has Peacocks don't have any issues with plants. I have a friend who's had a planted peacock tank for 8+ years with outstanding success. I would just like to put this myth to bed. Sure, you DEFINITELY need to be picky where and how they are planted due to their love of digging, but they never destroy the plants themselves. And yes, the Blue Acura is weird in the tank. They are from my wedding and are going into a 125 next year. I was worried about temporarily housing them with my Africans but they seem very happy.

what are the names of the plants you keep above the aquarium, they look fantastic, excellent idea.

Not a very good picture, however it may be a Pseudotropheus Acei. It looks old. The fish is a Mbuna species IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Identified

I was able to confirm with a LFS a few days ago that it is indeed a Mbuna. It is a Zebra in case anyone is curious. Since removed there are no addition bits in plants at all. Bsoyer, I don't remember the plants off hand but I'll be going to the location I purchased them next week, so I can let you know. I started them off in a bucket to make sure they took to the submerged roots. After adding them to my tank the plants and roots absolutely exploded. Some of them grow 1"+ a week, which is probably great for the tank itself. If you're interested I can tell you how I made the hanging planters. Thanks guys.

Hi, yes i want to do the same , if you can write the name of the plants ans how you did it, i would really appreciate. Also, i believe roots of those does not affect water parameters or the fish badly.

Well my thinking is that the fast growth helps clean the water up. Anyway, I'll post the plant types next week. Here is how I did it...

I used these soap dishes from Walmart...
Mainstays Suction Cup, Clear - Walmart.com

It says they are no longer available online, but they are still stocking them at my local Walmart. They have two small holes at the bottom, which is the perfect size because my fluorite substrate does not fall out. It comes with suction cups but do not use them.
I'd give it a week before the planters falls in. Instead, turn the suction cups around and use them to cover the holes they are attached to. Next, I used these door hooks(also found at Walmart):
1RCF8 Coat and Garment Hook, Over Door - Walmart.com

Cut the rounded edge off(I used a dremmel). Super glue the cut edge onto the inside or outside of the cup, depending on you tank edge width. I used superglue which is INCREDIBLY strong with plastis-plastic connections and is aquarium safe. I also glued that cut off rounded edge and glued it to the back of the the cup which sits against the back glass wall. This helped tip the cup up and make it level. All of these steps were modified for my tank wall thickness and water level so they might differ for you. I hope I made them clear.

Thanks a lot , i get the idea now, great! Waiting for the plant names. As i do not want to poison the water. For example i have heard once that bamboo plants poison the aquarium water

One of the plants looks like draceana or however it is spelt.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom