Help identifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone help me identify what type of pleco this is?

Last edited:
I don't think its a Bristlenose. I'm not sure about the Sailfin though....anyone else have any other thoughts?

I have the same exact one, and the fish guy said it was something like common sailfin plec. I have 2 of these guys and they grow huge in a short amount of time

right now that guy is in my 10g but i'll be starting up a 45g pretty soon so he'll move into that as soon as its up and going.

Is the consensus that its a Sailfin then?

that is apparant, but it also looks common. so common sailfin = waaay too big for even a 45, they need a 75 minimum cos as stated before they reach well into the 20inch range!

I can do that, i currently live in an apartment so i can't go any bigger than a 50 right now but by the end of the year i plan on being in a house which will allow me to get a much bigger tank which he can call home.I got this as a present so i wasn't able to research anything about them before i got it.

About how long would it take for it to outgrow the 45?

my sailfin grew 2in the first month i had it, then 1.5in the next. so following the 1in per month rule isnt accurate, but it will give a guideline. how big is your pleco now? cant remember.

i suppose at about 10-12in its just about outgrown. depending if your tank is long or squarish (squarish means u have less time). so 12 minus however big the pleco is now in inches would be approx the amount of months before its outgrown the tank. i am not certain here - assumptions and i allow anyone to correct me! xx

so u have about 10-11 months of safety, ooor you could find the longest 40-50gal available and sell the current one as a swap, then ud have lots more time and it would feel less cramped. though, what exactly is it in with? x

there are 3 Neon Tetra, 2 pepper Cory, the pleco, and plants.

word of warning plecos poop like machines when they get bigger :L

will u stock up on the tetras and cories? they tend to like big groups x

word of warning plecos poop like machines when they get bigger :L

will u stock up on the tetras and cories? they tend to like big groups x

i've noticed that pleco poop like machines when they are small too. I will stock up the cories and tetras, i just lost 7 tetra to a horrible outbreak of Ich which is why their numbers are so low.

Back
Top Bottom