Help identifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, i was thinking about possibly looking at some other schooling fish instead of the Tetra's anyway. I've had nothing but problems with them, but then again if they were sick when i got them thats a problem in itself.

The Pleco is peaceful overall correct?

yes... in most cases. mine can be bossy and has chased an oscar before, but overall they are lazy and quiet.

i suggest maybe a big mix of them, like black skirt tetras, lemon tetras, cherry barbs, neons and glo-lites! maybe a few of each, then they would make their own rainbow schools. and go planted... with DW... awesome :D

a rainbow school sounds like it would be kind of cool. I might give that a shot actually.

I'd only do planted. thats what my 10g is. i would just transfer everything to that tank.

Edit: I use as much natural and real stuff (DW, plants, etc) as I can.

Well my wife said a big tank in the future is allowed so whatever I need to accommodate him should be good to go :) I know there are some killer deals out there on larger setups

Anyone know an easy way to sex a pleco?

skywhitney said:
Well my wife said a big tank in the future is allowed so whatever I need to accommodate him should be good to go :) I know there are some killer deals out there on larger setups

(y) lucky you!! I want an Oscar so bad but hubby doesn't want any more big tanks! :(

Hmm....i wonder if I could swing a tank the size of the one I used to have....286,000g!

I lost that tank when I quit working for the city aquarium though lol

It was :) spend 4-5 hours a day swimming with sharks, stingrays, sea turtles, and other assorted fish...couldn't really ask for more (other than a salary that would pay the bills)

Was told by a local fish hatchery guy who I consider my guru of fish wheather fresh or salt (seen some amazing things at his place that I never thought was possible to spawn in a tank) anyways I asked him this very same question on my search for knowledge and stupid questions Weds morning coffee my answer was this: The females have a longer thinner face than the males, in the wild they live in areas with a muddy bottom. The faces on the females are long and thinner so they can dig down into the mud to lay the eggs. The males face when comparing the 2 is shorter and rounder.

Hope that helps, I'll try and get a pic of my decent sized common plec in my african tank don't have the big boys anymore otherwise I'd you up with a pic of one of them too so you could see the difference

A couple pics for reference would be great!

Thanks for the Info!

I'll try and get some pics of her this evening, she disappeared when I lit the tank up LOL they're used to having a central light in the livingroom

i think Garfy has sexed my pleco for me :D

apparantly, females have a flap to cover their vent. males should just have the hole.

mine always had the hole, but i wasnt sure cos its only young (5.5in). so i notice one day that it has a white tube sticking out (defo not poop, an actual tube) and the next day was just the hole. Garfy said this means its prob male. i am very grateful, and maybe this can help u out too x

Based off of that info i would have to say mine is a male as well. Its still pretty hard to tell since he's only 2.5" but I didnt see any evidence of a flap. I guess time will tell though!

2.5in is a little small tbh, but i suppose a flap is a flap as he says! just dont pick the most masculine name out there ;P x

Both of my plecs are female, they are almost 13" now, and they both have a flap, and the slender face. Will post ref pics soon

Back
Top Bottom