Help!! Kissng Gourami is dying : (

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdubbs82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My kissing Gourami is sick.He originally had a wound on his side so we started the melafix treatment and his wound was healing.He seemed fine for a day and than yesterday he got startled by another fish and ran in to the wall than started to bleed from his gills and mouth.He has a visible blood patch on his head under the skin and also on his mouth.He has not eaten in about 2 days.He has been Laying on the bottom of the tank and only comes up to get air from the top and than drops real hard to the bottom of the tank.He has survived 24hours of this .He doesn't seem to be getting worse or any better.Last night he was not able to move his gill to breathe but his now.I now have him in a breeding net at the top of the tank so he doesn't struggle to get air.I did some research online about melafix and I came across multiple blogs saying the melafix is harmful to bettas and gouramis because it hurts their organs.I tested all my levels and they all fine.Any suggestions?Could the melafix done this to him?HELP : ((

If anything, move him to another tank by himself so he does not hurt himself and any other fish.

What are your water parameters? How big is the tank? What tankmates, all I saw was betta?

Wow sorry about your fish. :( You said water parameters are "fine;" what are they exactly? How long has the tank been set up? Other tankmates? Not sure what could have caused this initially, probably either another fish or bad water, or/and an infection of some sort. It's good you've separated him, at least if it is another fish doing this they can't get to him anymore. As for treatment I'm not sure unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will answer with more experience. Sorry again. :(

:fish2:None of the fish are bothering him and he is not moving to much,only to get air fom the top.The tank is a 65 gallon.He has many tankmates.2 angelfish,3 large goldfish his size,2 other smaller Gouramis,A dinosaur bichar,2 Algae eaters.Its ashame.He has been in the same shape for over 24 hours,He just doesnt want to go lol.Have you ever heard over melafix doing this?:thanks:

bdubbs82 said:
:fish2:None of the fish are bothering him and he is not moving to much,only to get air fom the top.The tank is a 65 gallon.He has many tankmates.2 angelfish,3 large goldfish his size,2 other smaller Gouramis,A dinosaur bichar,2 Algae eaters.Its ashame.He has been in the same shape for over 24 hours,He just doesnt want to go lol.Have you ever heard over melafix doing this?:thanks:

What are the water parameters as in ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Maybe you overdosed the fish with medicine, not sure though.

Not sure exactly my husband did the tests,he is not here right now..We have had the tank for two andhalf years.Well he is a really jumpy fish and he runs into things alot.All my other fish follow him around as if he is king of the tank lol because he is th largest in the tank.:thanks:

bdubbs82 said:
Not sure exactly my husband did the tests,he is not here right now..We have had the tank for two andhalf years.Well he is a really jumpy fish and he runs into things alot.All my other fish follow him around as if he is king of the tank lol because he is th largest in the tank.:thanks:

We got to know the exact water parameters. Anything that was really high in concentration could have poisoned your fish. Do you have a test kit on hand?

Back
Top Bottom