Help me catch a loach or two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
they are cute but those weather loaches do not feel like a good idea in my tank. I love my other fish and these guys are just going to get too big.

so help me catch a loach without killing my planted tank completely.

any tricks are welcome!!!!

I am such a dork for not sleeping on a purchase idea. I really need self control.

Something that would act as a dark cave. Then if you start chasing him, he will probably dart in there for cover.

Could also do a large net and a small net. Keep the large net still and chase him into it with the small net.

Lne Wolf .... Have you ever tried to trap them? I was thinking the inverted bottle thing with shrimp pellets inside...

I feel like an idiot.. your 55 is a much better size for these guys than my 35.

or am I panicking over nothing. YOu have one, you know better than me.

And my 26G Bowfront probably isn't as long as your 35, and he was doing great. Even the golden dojo that passed away, was 8 inches, and the 26G was just fine.

Mine ate some shrimp pellets, but preferred frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. Also likes flake food too that dropped to the gravel.

I hate to admit it.. but I have 2..

in addition to the plecos and apistos that inhabit my bottom..

I had a zig zag eel that died which is why I think I was so attracted to the dojos.. I really wanted my eel back.

They should be just fine. How big is the pleco going to get? If it's a bigger one, might have a room problem there. The apistos should be fine too, unless you are breeding them. If so, then when breeding and the dojos invade their territory, not sure what would happen. When I get my 75G, it will be planted, and will have German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams, and my dojo, and maybe a couple more for company.

sherry said:
I had a zig zag eel that died which is why I think I was so attracted to the dojos.. I really wanted my eel back.

I've got 2 fire eels and wouldn't know what to do if I lost them. They are my life. :) Will eventually get a 180G+ just for them and the bala.

On the whole catching fish thing.... Lonewolf has the "pro" trick he mentions. Leave a big net still, and chase the fish into the net with a smaller net, or even your hand.
Leaving the net in a few days before you try the catch will help, it becomes part of the landscape.

the plecos are all already full grown .. one 2.5 inch clown and two four inch bristlenoses.

I just am afraid my apistos will crowd out and they are the most fragile of the bunch. I would hate to lose them. Should have, and now want to , wait until I can get another zig zag eel.

what about trapping dojo in a bottle baited ? don't they love to swim into things?

zez Lone's method ALMOST worked... Got them both in a net this morning.. ONce I thought it was in thebig net and it was in teh small one and poof, gone.

next I thought it was in the plastic and it jumped back into thenet and back into the tank.

eesh!!!! my own stupid fault.

Lone.. I just noticed you lost a dojo a couple of weeks ago. I am so sorry. I can see getting attached to these and if my tank were larger I would let them stay.

Do you want these ?

they do okay in cold I hear, and even in ammonia water (from plastic bag) .. and I can express them..and tehy should ship well. assuming I can get them out.

yeah...I totally destroyed my tank catching a couple loaches bought on impulse once...they are fast little buggers, lol

I don't have the room for them now. Got too many loaches in the lower part of my tank, lol. Almost think the bottom is moving, lol.

Yup, I lost a golden dojo a couple weeks ago. Old age. He wasn't young when I got him, and was over 8 inches when he started having problems. When he wasn't doing much, and started floating lots, and on his side sometimes, I decided to put it down. But yes, you can become attached.

Lone.. if I kept these guys do you think the apistos and bristlenoses would be okay? I really want to protect their space. sigh. And it would mean giving up on the idea of a new eel..

I don't know. is it worth it?

Might try an ad in the local paper for someone that will give them a good home. If I had another tank, I'd take them, but I'm probably more than maxed at this time. Looking at getting a 75G in the next 2 months, and will need some cycling time as well, unless my XP3 handles it as an instant cycle when I hook it up.

My clowns love staying in a piece of conduit, about 9" long, I can pic up the piece and move it all over the tank and they just stay in there..

if you have 2 nets, put an 9" piece of conduit (thick opaque plastic tube), wait until you can't see them anymore and put 1 net at each end, then lift and tip towards 1 net, once it breaks the water surface they will swim right into the net.

I could catch my 5 in about 5 minutes, just drain a bit of the tank and they all scurry into the tube :)

Wizard.. I had a similar thought and some extra xp1 plumbing pieces that Aquarium PHarma sent me...

so it is a slightly tight tube (think filter intake) but it is in the tank

so far a loach has lain along side of it ;)

I"m hoping they will get in soon!!!!

meanwhile... I am so bad, I left the tank cover open a bit... only when I"m home, hoping they'll jump while I'm around to get them back into water fast.

just not my water.

Someone in NYC come help me catch a loach!!!!! lOL

Lone wolf, I wish I could open up another tank, but it would mean getting rid of the stereo or the couch :)

NO RoOM at the inn

Back
Top Bottom