Help Me Get Rid of This!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Several people have said this is a fungus. It is driving me mad! I want to post pics to get a 100% id. Also tips to defeat it. Its been there over a month! It is coating the back glass the wood and the plants! It looks like fuzzy snotty diatom algae.
Oh and I should probably note this appeared after adding some driftwood I found in a local lake.

ForumRunner_20131117_170045.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_170015.jpg

Looks like black beard algae. Do a 50% water change and see if that does anything.

That is a day or 2 after a 50% water change. It is broen not black.

I rinsed it very well. I also scrubbed it very well. I also poured 2 huge pots of boiling water on it.

Try use flourish excel. I see two forms of algae that were most likely caused by excess nutrients.

Try use flourish excel. I see two forms of algae that were most likely caused by excess nutrients.

I dont have any excel. Any other options? I hooe it is treatable as I love way the driftwood looks. I am wanting to do a major rescape and restock on this tank but I am waiting to see if I need to find new driftwood or not.

That doesn't look like bba it looks like some type hair algae. Did you boil or bake it before you put it in the tank?

I poured 2 very large pots of boiling water on it. It is a significant hunk of wood so it didnt go in a pot. It just doesnt look like algae to me. Maybe the hair on the plant but the stuff on the wood is like this snotty looking brown....I dont know. Its light. If I shake my hand next to it alot comes off.

Do you have anything you could soak it in? if so you can take it and soak it in bleach water for a while and then soak it in water treated with high dose prime or maybe just stick it in the over at 250F for about 2-4 hours and see how that works. If you do the oven trick you will have to dry it out first.

Do you have anything you could soak it in? if so you can take it and soak it in bleach water for a while and then soak it in water treated with high dose prime or maybe just stick it in the over at 250F for about 2-4 hours and see how that works. If you do the oven trick you will have to dry it out first.

Honestly I dont have a bucket large enough. I guess I could use a spray bottle and just spray it really well? I wish there was a way to treat it while in the tank. Espexially since the whole tank is kinda coated now.

So I tried peroxide. It bubbled but is still here. Interesting point though. My other tank I put this driftwood in has the smae thing. I took some plants from that tank and put it into another uninfected tank. Now it is growing in that tank too! Please help!

Back
Top Bottom