Help me help my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OP, some starter bacterias work, others contain nitrifying bacteria that cannot survive in an aquarium. Dr Tim's One and Only is probably the most widely recommended product that I've seen, however I had some luck in a tank recently with a bottle of Tetra's SafeStart. As has been said above, these tend to be very hit or miss. The bottle I had luck with was the second one I had tried. The first had no discernible effect. The second brought my ammonia levels from an average of 2ppm slowly downward over the course of a couple of days, then I registered nitrates for the first time, and a few days later ammonia and nitrite were both zero, and that tank has been stable for 19 days. This was nothing like the assertion on the bottle that the tank would be stable in 24 hours, but it did cycle my tank nonetheless. My guess is that the bottle you got from the chain store was either dead or the wrong bacteria entirely. You can still add bacteria, if you want to roll the dice on it working (there were fish in my tank when I did). Those bottles contain nothing but bacteria in a suspension, and the bacteria are harmless to fish.
Seeded media is certainly the cheaper and most commonly recommended way to speed up a cycle, though. If your LFS has a display tank that's well established and healthy, they may well give or sell you a piece of media. Mine did. The media didn't work for me, however. Your results may vary.
Some people temp match using a spare aquarium heater and thermometer. I simply use lukewarm water and do as coursair does, and my fish seem happy enough.

As for happy, healthy fish, getting your water parameters under control should be first and foremost. After that, feed them right, keep them warm and swimming in clean water and you should have a tank full of happy little buddies.

Ok, you guys have been awesome, thank you. I'm off work now and headed home to do a water change. I have been draining five or six 5 gallon buckets and then filling them back from the tap, adding Prime conditioner. I let them sit a few hours to even the temp, but that only gets it to room temp and my tank is set to 79 degrees. Anything else I need to be doing temp-wise?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a spare tank thermometer (kitchen meat thermometer will work too) to get my faucet temp the same as my tank, add prime to my bucket, fill bucket, then pour into a tank. Just a tip.

I changed out 35 gallons of water last night, with about double the recommended dose of Prime (after reading here and on the bottle that it could help temporarily neutralize the Nitrites). I will purchase a test kit in a few hours and am very anxious for those results

Also, my closest LFS is Petsmart and Petco, where I regularly see dead fish in the tanks. I don't buy fish from these stores, so I am hesitant to ask for seeding materials. The store I do trust and purchase my fish from doesn't offer seeding material (according to the employee I spoke with over the phone), so I asked a friend with a well established tank for some rocks from his tank and he obliged. Mid-way through my water change last night (after draining, but before refilling) I submerged the rocks from his tank and rubbed the slime off them, and then dropped them in. While his tank is well established and healthy, he doesn't have many fish in there (currently just a small school of zebra danios). After reading everything I can find on Nitrites I've read that your cycle matches the # of fish in your tank.....so will his seeding material help with my tank which has more and bigger fish?

Any info would be helpful, thank you all!!!

Seeding material gets it started. You will still need to monitor the water conditions daily and PWC as necessary. Oh, and be patient.
Good luck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ahhh, so hard to be patient, this tank is my daughter's pride and joy!! But i undersrand your point, thank you! I had my GF test the water on her way to work just now at Petco using their free test strips :

Attachments

• 1422035177317.jpg
    1422035177317.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 66
I imagine the Nitrites are truly higher than this, given the 55% water change just last night....but here's what I've got until I can purchase the liquid test kit later today

Dont sweat it until you get the test kit. Then you'll know where you stand and can repair/adjust accordingly. For the most part, it's just going to be lots of water changes to keep the levels in check until the tank can sustain itself.

The rocks from your friends tank should help, but if your more heavily stocked it won't be enough bacteria to keep up with the ammonia the fish are producing.

Water changes will be your best friend until you are finished cycling you just have to be patient. Test your water daily or even twice daily

If, while purchasing this liquid test kit, I were able to convince them to give me seeding material....would that be ill advised since I just used different seeding material last night? I envision I'll be doing another WC, so IDK, I'm open to any advice.

If, while purchasing this liquid test kit, I were able to convince them to give me seeding material....would that be ill advised since I just used different seeding material last night? I envision I'll be doing another WC, so IDK, I'm open to any advice.

I would get more if I could. I don't see why they couldn't give you a small piece of used media or sponge

Filter media is better than rocks for BB. Just kept it damp with tank water and squeeze it out over or stick it into your filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was able to get some gravel from my LFS (the guy denied my request to purchase a used filter or sponge, said he didn't have any he could give) my only concern is that my daughter spotted some tiny white snails in the gravel and I don't think I want those in my sand substrate? ? Based on the last comment should I introduce the gravel? How long will it last in the bag while I decide?

0.50 ?? That's my Nitrite tank water test (remember I just did a 55% WC last night) I got a Master kit and will test the rest soon. Also I'll test my tap water and tap with Prime

Attachments

• 1422055204133.jpg
    1422055204133.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 58
0.50 ?? That's my Nitrite tank water test (remember I just did a 55% WC last night) I got a Master kit and will test the rest soon. Also I'll test my tap water and tap with Prime

water change. And if the gravel has snails they will get into your tank, however some people like them, they keep your sand clean

Tiny, tiny white spiral shaped snails.......like 1/20th the size of one gravel rock. Those kind good?

Ok, so my tap readings were: Ammonia = 0ppm / pH = 8.1 / Nitrite = 0ppm / Nitrate = 0ppm. I'm mid-way through a 50% WC

Re-reading someone's previous post gave me this idea......if I dumped the gravel into the bottom of my filter (the kind that hangs off the back of my tank) would I get the good stuff but contain the snails to that? Which I could dump later?

Possibly, but something else you could do is put that gravel (and its snails, if you don't want them) in some kind of tight mesh. I've heard nylon pantyhose work well.

Nice. I like that better. I'll rinse the pantyhose thoroughly 1st. Thanks! !

Back
Top Bottom