Help me put together the perfect luxury home for a Betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I re-arranged the green tiger lotus to show more of the driftwood. Still not as prominent as I wanted, but I am pretty happy for a first try.

Attachments

• image-721425308.jpg
    image-721425308.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 99
Oh crazy! I guess the room was so dark and the light bright i thought you had a black background!! Haha... Silly iPhone pics! Lol

Looks good though :)

I re-arranged the green tiger lotus to show more of the driftwood. Still not as prominent as I wanted, but I am pretty happy for a first try.

Its all looking v.nice :) ive been following this since it started,as I was thinking about a getting a Betta around about same time,i got my Male Crowntail and I love him,he is fab !!!! His name is Merlin heres some pics :)
He is a mixture of purple,turquoise and a dark head,i was drawn to him when I got him as he was different,he has a lovely personality comes up to see me everytime I go to tank,he gets on ok with my cory,flares a bit at him sometimes but he is ok otherwise :)

ForumRunner_20130213_103356.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_103432.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_103458.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_103511.jpg

Very nice. Your betta has a nice color. I am still looking for mine. With better weather coming up soon, I really hope to get mine before April.

As expected from a novice, I was not completely happy with the plants positioned on the right, the lack of black on the left and the lack of depth in the middle. This is what I expect to be final. Water was a little disturbed due to the adding of substrate.

Attachments

• image-1426184419.jpg
    image-1426184419.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 114
As expected from a novice, I was not completely happy with the plants positioned on the right, the lack of black on the left and the lack of depth in the middle. This is what I expect to be final. Water was a little disturbed due to the adding of substrate.

Looking good :)

After 12+hours of filtration and no disturbance. I might leave it like this until I get the fish.

Attachments

• image-1259666994.jpg
    image-1259666994.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 95
Weekend update:

The tank is going well. 95% of the plants seem to be stable. The Madagascar Lace Leaf is showing already a new sprout, all the Ludwigia show root growing and the water sprite is showing growth with no issues. 1 of 2 of my Red Tiger Lotus is growing, but the other one is still inert. Same thing with the second madagascar lace leaf, nothing coming out yet.

My heater is set to 78, and I seem to be losing about 5mm of water per day. I will wait to complete, but I was thinking about a acrylic lid. Any comments? I also heard of Bettas getting sick from cold air, so it might be a good idea to put together a lid no matter what...

Talking about Bettas, I lost the bid for the last few attempts on Aquabid. The good news is that the local pet store has some really nice halfmoon bettas. After a 40 minute talk to the lady that places the orders from their farm, I might hear some good news on Monday (tomorrow!)

Besides that, I am in the market for some foreground plants. Dwarf Grass or baby tears?

Lastly (Brian, this one is for you), could this tank benefit from another set of Finnex lights? Unfortunately, the Finnex 2 doesn't come in 12", but I was wondering if I should add another fugeray to this tank. Sometimes I think having 2 would create a more homogeneous lighting for the plants. The first dosing of Flourish, Excel and Iron went in. It seems to me the plants are doing really good.

Well i think if you're getting adequate growth with a single Fugeray, you should keep it that way. Since you just started dosing with flourish and excel, you should start to see even more growth. If you add a second Fugeray, you'll be matching what the Ray 2 puts out in terms of lighting. I read somewhere that the Fugeray and Ray2 use the same exact LED emitters, just that the Ray 2 has more and aren't as evenly spaced out.

So you can go with a second Fugeray but you may need to add co2 to avoid algae.

As for cover, i had my betta on two tanks without one and she hasn't jumped out yet (luckily). But it sounds like your fancy betta won't be cheap so you might want to think about getting a piece of glass cut to size. I'm using a piece of acrylic on my rimless when i have to leave town for days at a time to reduce evaporation. However, i just noticed that the acrylic starts to warp a bit. Thankfully, i only use the cover occasionally.

I would get a lid, herd they can be jumpers!! Also they do better with warm, moist air to gulp at surface apparently. Your plants look gorgeous...good luck finding your fish, can't wait for pic update!

So you can go with a second Fugeray but you may need to add co2 to avoid algae.

And the carbon supply can't come from liquid supplements, can it? I don't have a problem spending 10 bucks a month on liquid supplements, but I am just not ready for the whole CO2 thing...

Thank you for the help. Just as a side note, my fish will be 12 bucks if everything goes right with the LFS. Either way, I just got acrylic, I'll cut it to size and have it as a template for the glass store.

Well i guess the liquid carbon would work. I would've said no but Rivercats' 220g TOTM for January is proof that high lights and liquid carbon (in get case, Glutaraldehyde) works.

Anyway, your tank is looking great. Keep the updates coming.

Plastic lid. Good to be used as a template for glass, but, as precioulsy said, the heat warps it...

Attachments

• image-3468177784.jpg
    image-3468177784.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 87
Day 10:

25% water change, and after some help from Brian and Cats, I added some variation of micro swords and baby tears (even though I will not be running a CO2 system, but using liquid carbon).

My issue now is lighting. Picture 1 has the light on top of background plants. Picture 2 has it on top of foreground plants. Picture 3, right in the middle. It really makes me feel I want to run 2 fugerays!

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-1781938132.jpg
    image-1781938132.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3782643064.jpg
    image-3782643064.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1823717783.jpg
    image-1823717783.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts