Help me start my tank right - Please! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I honestly don't remember ever making an account here, but apparently it came in handy. :)

I recently acquired a 15 gal tank and decided to get back into fish. I've had bettas my entire life, but they are so incredibly easy that I almost feel like they don't count. :oops: I have never owned a test kit, and I really have very little desire to. I hate numbers, and nobody tests the water in the wild, not to mention my fish never die unless they are murdered somehow (cats, little brothers, etc.) The typical lifespan of my bettas is around 4 years. I haven't a clue whether that's considered good or bad here, but my friends are always amazed. I've had other fish, but I never did things "the right way" with them. I put the water in the tank, floated the fish bag on top for an hour, and poured the fish in. However, deaths were rare. I usually ended up giving my goldfish to people with ponds once they got too big, and then just buying new little ones. I think I lucked out more than anything with them, though.

This time, I want to do things right. I don't really know what kind of fish I want to get, but I'm not sure I want to keep goldfish in a 15 gal. I might just make it easy on myself and get a few female bettas. :oops:

I'll list what I have in my possession, and what I still plan to buy. Please tell me what else I need in addition to this. :)

I have:
15 gallon tank
Tetra Whisper 10-30 gal. filter
Alot of gravel
Fake coral
Squidward's house
Jungle brand Start Right liquid
Jungle brand Start Zyme liquid

I still want to buy a few live plants. They are just so incomparibly better than the fake ones, but unfortunately hard to find here. I was going to get an aerator, but another customer (who seemed alot more knowlegible than me) said that my filter will provide more than enough oxygen to the water and that the aerator I was looking at was mostly just a decoration.

What order do I need to do everything in? Do I put the Jungle liquids into the tank with the filter running or without? Should the plants be in there too? My house has very soft water which has a funny taste to it. My fiance has hard water that tastes perfect and when he had it tested, the guys were amazed at how pure it was. Will my water be okay or would it be better to haul water from my fiance's? Can I assume I can start adding fish after a month or so?

Thanks! :)

Hi and welcome to AA!
A few things to add to your shipping list would include a heater (if you plan on keeping tropicals including bettas (they prefer 80*F)), a good water dechlorinator (prime is the best) and a test kit (an absolute essential (API freshwater master test kit is most recommended)).
You don't need those jungle products. The zymes and bacteria starters are not needed. You need to consider how you are going to cycle your tank. There are two methods, fishless and fish in. I will post some links on both for you to have a read of. Your tap water should be fine to use. Fish can adapt to different pH, kh and Gh. No need to change them. City water contains chlorine and chloramine and needs to be neutralized so a dechlorinator is a must for water changes. A 15g is unsuitable for goldfish. They require larger tanks (20g for first one then an additional 10g for each after that) because of their large size and high waste output. A 15g is perfect for nano fish, a Betta, guppies, platys, etc.
FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Also google the nitrogen cycle.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask! :)

Reactions: jlk
The tank in question is a 15g tank which I just got, but I have had several 10g tanks in the past as well as one 20g when I was just a kid.

:) I have a special heater my dad made for me when I was keeping bunches of bettas at a time. I'm not sure exactly how it's made or how it works, but it's a large, flat rectangle that fits on the countertop in my room and you set the tanks directly ontop of it. It has a thermostat which only controls the temperature of the heater itself, not the water, which I like because it lets my fish swim away from the heat if they get too warm. :) I generally keep my males in their own 10g tanks, but I have put two females in a 10g with no ill-effects. I find they value the companionship more than the space.

I don't permanently keep goldfish in my small tanks. I buy tiny ones and give them to friends with ponds once they grow.

Right now I'm not sure whether I want to get a couple female bettas or some of these GloFish I'm seeing more and more frequently. It would be neat to have a tiny school, but I do love my bettas.... :)

My questions about plants and filters etc. were in regards to cycling the tank. And because I bought the Jungle products, I'm going to use them. Lol. Do I put the whole tank together with gravel, decor, plants, etc. before using them or do I use them before putting the tank together?

As stated above you don't need the jungle products sometimes they give you false readings making you think your tank is cycled in 2 days. Get a liquid test kit which the best way to test your water perimeters.

Yes add everything you have filter, plants, gravel before you start the cycle.

I would recommend a heater for an aquarium because it disperses the heat evenly with the help of the filter current,instead of just one spot under the tank.

So apparently my tank is really a 20 gal. I was just guessing on its volume by looking at it, but my fiance measured it and converted it to gallons, and it's 20. :) The bigger, the better, IMO.

The jungle products are just a dechlorinator and a liquid bacteria. And my heater heats the entire bottom of the tank, not just one spot. :) Since heat rises, it gets the water to a pretty even temperature, but the fish have the option to move up and away from the heater if they want to.

I'm not really sure where to get a liquid test kit, and I'm not really sure it's entirely necessary, but if I see one I can afford somewhere, I'll buy it.

It's necessary to buy a test kit if not how will you know what's killing your fish or if your tank is cycled.

Test kits are necessary because when cycling your tank you need to be able to keep track of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate concentrations. You need to be able to check your pH for fluctuations (which can kill a fish). If something goes wrong in your tank you need to be able to test your water to rule in or out bad water conditions as the culprit.

Okay, fair enough. I know absolutely zilch about test kits, so are there different types of test kits? Which one is the simplest to use? TBH I'd pay more for a simpler kit; one that won't confuse me as easily. I haven't really looked at any test kits, but I think they have them at Walmart.... Not sure what quality they are though. What would you guys recommend?

Freshie In Disguise said:
Okay, fair enough. I know absolutely zilch about test kits, so are there different types of test kits? Which one is the simplest to use? TBH I'd pay more for a simpler kit; one that won't confuse me as easily. I haven't really looked at any test kits, but I think they have them at Walmart.... Not sure what quality they are though. What would you guys recommend?

I recommend the API liquid test kit.

I went to Walmart today, and they didn't have the recommended kit, so I ended up not buying what they had. All they had were strip test kits, and you had to buy a whole different kit to test for different things. It was just way too expensive and it sounded really confusing. I did end up getting an additional tank heater because they had a style which I liked alot better than my external one; it sticks to the inside of the tank with suction cups, so it's in the water and wastes less heat. The only thing I don't like about it is that there are no numbers on the thermostat and it requires a thermometer, which I didn't find out until I brought it home. I'm a tad worried that my aquarium is going to look like some ugly science experiment with all these gadgets hanging off of it, and at this point, no amount of foliage in the world is going to hide everything in there, but I'd definitely rather have healthy fish and clean water. Thanks for all of the help, by the way. :)

Where can I get the API test kit at a reasonable price?

I found it on Amazon, added to my wishlist for now. :)

Question: What is a python? :eek:

It is a syphon you use to drain your tank then refill it using a tap in your house. It allows for fast water changes and temperature matched water.

That sounds pretty awesome. I might have to look around for one of those too. :)

I am thinking, when this tank is ready, I'd really like a colorful school of something as well as one male betta. Is that doable? Would he be okay with GloFish or small tetras or danios? Also, how would I add the school without overloading the tank or stressing the fish out? Sorry for all the questions... I just want to do this right.

That sounds pretty awesome. I might have to look around for one of those too. :)

I am thinking, when this tank is ready, I'd really like a colorful school of something as well as one male betta. Is that doable? Would he be okay with GloFish or small tetras or danios? Also, how would I add the school without overloading the tank or stressing the fish out? Sorry for all the questions... I just want to do this right.

So the tank is a 20g right? A Betta a school of suitable tetra and even some small bottomed dwellers (Pygmy cories or shrimp) would work great in a 20g. The glofish/danios maybe too active for a 20, depends on the dimensions. Is it a tall or long? You could do ember, neon or lemon tetras just to name a few. You don't want anything nippy or anything with flowing fins or tails.

It's a 20g long. It has alot of empty space in it at present, but the two decorations I do have have lots of little hiding places, and I chose some natural yet colorful gravel and stones to make it look a little less empty.

Would you be interested in making me a few lists of possible complete stock for my tank? :oops: You don't have to, of course, but it would be very helpful. I have a problem with impulse-buying and I really don't want to mess up this tank. I also want to make sure all of my fish are compatible.

Bettas are my absolute favorites, and always will be. I honestly think they develop huge personalities and take an avid interest in things going on in and around the tank, way moreso than other fish. I'm not very picky at all about the type of fish in the school, so long as they are colorful. I'm rather simple-minded; I like colorful, shiny things :D. I'd also really like something to take care of algae without growing to a tremendous size. Snails are my favorite, but I had one experience with snails that makes me hesitant....

I once had a very lovely cerulean blue male betta in a 5g hexagon tank. After some time, it developed horrendous algae, so I bought a gold mystery snail and put it in. The next morning, the snail shell was completely empty and my little fish had a terribly bloated belly. Do bettas normally eat snails or would I be safe to add one to my tank? Jericho was a very strange betta... He is currently serving as Assistant Secretary of the County District Attourney's office. It's an easy life; all he has to do is sit on the secretary's desk. :) He must be 6 or 7 by now. ANYWHO..... :oops: Are snails and bettas generally compatible?

As you know, depending in the bettas personality, they can get along with other fish and inverts. Really the only way to tell, other than observing and trying to guess, is to add them in with something else and see how they go. You must be ready to step in and remove one or the other if things go wrong. Usually snails make excellent tank mates. Most bettas will ignore them but occasionally you get one that doesn't. I had a Betta kill a mystery snail that was bigger than it! He must have just picked it to death. :(

A 20g long opens up a few more possibilities than a 20g high. More horizontal swimming room that schooling fish prefer. Can I suggest you do some searching/researching on different tetras and pick out the ones you like, then we can help you decide what's right for your tank.

I do have another 10g long tank that I can set up in a hurry if critters need seperating, otherwise the pet store will take them for free.

The glofish are still my favorites as far as schooling fish go, but if they won't work, I really like neon tetras as well. The embers and lemons are cool too. I like them all! Glofish are my favorite, neons second, and the embers and lemons are about the same, but I still really like them! Could I do a mixture or would that be bad? I just love a combo of colors.

Ideally I'd like:
1 male betta OR 2 female bettas,
Some glofish
Some neon tetras
1 mystery snail.

Is there a way to do that without overstocking? Can you recommend a list that would work better? I'm not picky at all. :)

Back
Top Bottom