Help my discus fish are dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My ph is at 7.0 ! I got my discus from a breader , the changes started happening when I got the pleco

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How big is the pleco? Discus need pristine water conditions and bigger pleco's are very messy fish. They poop a lot and are messy eaters.

Also it's very important we know your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels. Those are essential.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

The pleco is 10 inch or so he's big !

How do I find the ammonia levels ?

The pleco is 10 inch or so he's big !

IMO I'm no expert but I would say he could be causing mini ammonia spikes because they are very messy fish.

Without a water test I have nothing to back that statement up though.

Personally I wouldn't mix a pleco and discus in the first place because of the difference in water conditions.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

A liquid test kit like the API master test kit. You can get it at most pet/fish stores or on Amazon.com

How do I find the ammonia levels ?

you have to use a test kit, most of us here prefer the API freshwater liquid test kit. In my experience most of the problems with sick fish in this hobby are water quality related. Yes it could be ich, or parasites etc.. but you need to test your water parameters first before we can narrow it down.

If it is ich you will see very tiny white particles stuck to the fish, it almost looks like salt grains

Okay ! It's late here now I'll have to go out Tommorw and grab the kit !

You said you got the fish a week ago. In that short period of time anything could go wrong. It's probably not because of the pleco.

If you could please answer the questions in the questionnaire we could all be on the same page as it helps establish a guide. As well, the others I asked. Also, what size tank is this ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

If you could please answer the questions in the questionnaire we could all be on the same page as it helps establish a guide. As well, the others I asked. Also, what size tank is this ??

Pretty sure 90 gallons was said. Somewhere in here.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

You said you are doing water changes every 2 days but are you using prime?

Or any water conditioner for that matter.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I just re read the original post, you said you got them last tuesday. Was this tank cycled originally? If not your fish are most likely dieing due to ammonia poisoning. Water changes very frequently will help keep them alive. Use Prime while doing the water changes.

Discus are fragile fish, they like very stable water conditions. The cleaner the water the better they will be.

My tank is a 90 gallon ! Filter is fluval fx5 I have 3 barbs 2 angel fish and the pleco and 4 4" discus

Or any water conditioner for that matter.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

you would think everyone in this hobby would know to use it, but they don't unfortunately. I met a guy in petco who's fish were dying and stayed at the bottom of his tank. He told me he has been doing water changes with tap water but had no idea what water conditioner was...the guy working the fish department was trying to sell him Ich meds...smh

Yes I use prim with every water change ! My discus would come out and be swimming lots until Sunday started hiding ! Looks like cotton on fins , white spots on body

My tank is a 90 gallon ! Filter is fluval fx5 I have 3 barbs 2 angel fish and the pleco and 4 4" discus

is this a brand new tank kelly that you just started last tuesday? with a new filter? or used filter that hasn't been run in a long time?

this is a very important question which could answer all of your problems..

Yes I use prim with every water change ! My discus would come out and be swimming lots until Sunday started hiding ! Looks like cotton on fins , white spots on body

So for the second time, would you please follow the guidelines as set in this link ? It's only going to help you and your fish in the long run. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/before-posting-about-unhealthy-fish-read-this-32451.html

Tank is 2 years old ! Moved it about 3 weeks ago to new home ! Cleaned the tank and filter gravel ext ! Filter less then a year old

Tank is 2 years old ! Moved it about 3 weeks ago to new home ! Cleaned the tank and filter gravel ext ! Filter less then a year old

If the filter has been down for a while and just recently set up, it likely has not finished cycling.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Back
Top Bottom