Help my fancy goldfish is going to burst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mammy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just don’t know what to do anymore. Last fall when closing my pond for the winter I noticed that one of my 5 year old fancy goldfish had a larger than normal belly. I decided to bring her in for the winter and treat her for either egg bound or dropsy. I started a 20 gallon tank with the pond water with a Aquatech 30/60 filter.
I first gave her an Epson salt bath (1tbsp/gal) and released her in the tank. She kept eating every day but after a few days I noticed that she hadn’t had any bowel movement. So I stopped feeding her for about 3 days and started giving her split peas. She would eat them no problem but again, no feces found.
I then decided to add a dose of Epson salt to the tank (1/8tsp/5gal) and added a Heater to bring the water to 25C. Still no results.
At one point, I decided to put latex gloves and massage her stomach to no avail.
I am discourage. Her belly is so swollen that her scales are starting to retract.

Back
Top Bottom