HELP...my friend is fish sitting and something is wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend of mine posted a plea on FB for help. Apparently the water is bad and the fish won't eat. I don't know enough to help out, but will post a pic of the post and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 101
Think she can follow verbal instructions on a massive water change? Yikes.

I would hope. I don't even know what type of fish that is or if it is freshwater for that matter. That water is nasty and I suggested he will need to do a water change and asked whether he can contact the owner so he can have the right supplies. I haven't heard back yet. I encouraged him to sign up with aquarium advice.

Honestly, even the tank looks too small, and is am no expert. Also looks like it was over fed.

If he is able to do a water change, how big would you suggest?

Ok, just checking.

How long has the fish been being watched by the person? And was the water kinda brownish and dirty then or just recently since the sitter has it?

That fish, any of the fish needs NO MORE FOOD for a little while. The other tank is dirty too.

All the water needs changed but if it was dirty when the sitter got them it should be done gradually maybe over a day or 2 with a number of changes as to not shock the fish. We don't know about the water where the fish came from and where it is being kept at, meaning the location/pH. A bottle of Prime water conditioner about $9. NOW!

This really is an emergency.

Follow directions on the bottle. Need a 5 gal bucket.

I would scoop out the food in the top with a cup.

next scoop the water out gently hopefully not scaring the fish too much and take out half of the water from the top part of the aquarium into the bucket.

Then add Prime to a temperature matched tap water to double the water - half old water half new treated X 5 with Prime the X 5 is the emergency dosage, for the amount needed for the size of the tank.

The 5X dosage is for the entire volume of the water in the tank and going into the tank- if the tank is 10 gallons then treat for 10 gallons total which includes new and old water.

Dump out and clean the water and bottom stuff from the fish tank in the pic.

Add the fish and treated X5 water back into the tank.

Remove 50% of the water from the tank, and repeat the temp matched water in the bucket treated for that volume of water with Prime X 2 again. This will be fresh water going in.

Add back the water into the tank slowly as to keep the water for the fish as calm as possible. Also if there is a light turn it off and let the fish relax.

This is an emergency back to back 50% water change.

Then the next day or somewhere 15-18-24 hours later do the same back to back pwc.

By then the majority of water should be exchanged.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking your time for such explicit instructions! I sent him a copy and if I hear anything, I will let you know.

Thanks again.:thanks:

No problem. I was just in disbelief...

Hoping that fixes the problem and there are likely other issues, if that is the tank for a fish like that.

Recommend the owner gets a look at the tank size requirements from liveaquaria for the fish, and rehome if they can't provide a suitable tank. I guess I am hoping that is a vacation tank, and not the permanent home.

Basically the same thing needs to be done to the other tank as well.

I know, I feel so sad for those fish. I didn't even notice the other tank until you mentioned it. Pretty bad. Anyway I hope things turn out okay. I have t heard back from my friend yet. I'm with you - I hope those are just tanks used to bring over to my friend's place, but that doesn't help the cycling question. Not that the pic is great, but I wonder if there is even a filter. :(

Yes, it doesn't seem there is a filter :confused:

Don't feed for until after the pwc are completed, feed 4 balls of food, if the fish eats it and seems to want more, 4 more. That is all 1x per day.

I think you said, or the copy of the FB page said catfish for the other. Same time frame on not feeding. Don't know what kind of fish or how big. Try to find out food type it is being fed and fish variety and size/length.

Pretty good advice from Autumnsky. I see that the tank next door is cloudy too. I would tell your friend that no more food is needed for a day at least and clean out what is floating. Once the water is clean again (by following Autumnsky's instructions) and your friend is ready to start feeding they should just try adding a few pellets at a time. If the fish eats the three pellets then add another three for the duration of about 1 minute or until they stop eating. don't leave excess food in the tank if possible. specifically mention to your friend that under no circumstance should they clean the filter out with water directly from the tap. Use dechlorinated water for the filter if they clean it or they will kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter and create even more issues.

I hope your friend is able to keep those fish alive. Their most basic need is clean water so getting onto those water changes will be the best thing they can do for the fish right now.

Back
Top Bottom