Help my male guppy has a large clear bump on his head!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
my poor babe in my 5 gal has a huge clear bump on his head. What is this? How do it treat it? Is it hereditary? Please help soon I don't know what to do plus my momma gup is preggers and I want to know if the babies will have this issue! Don't want the others to get sick! Please help soon!

Dizzydea said:
my poor babe in my 5 gal has a huge clear bump on his head. What is this? How do it treat it? Is it hereditary? Please help soon I don't know what to do plus my momma gup is preggers and I want to know if the babies will have this issue! Don't want the others to get sick! Please help soon!

Has it been there the whole time or did it just now develop? How old is it?

Not sure how long it's been there it blends in to his coloring quite well. He's probably about a 6 months old none of the others have this bump though. I can't find any info on it it looks like a blister,it doesn't seem to bother him. I have quarantined him in a breeder box until I know more. Maybe a birth defect not sure. What's your thoughts? I've heard of fish getting tb I really hope that's not the case.

Dizzydea said:
I have quarantined him in a breeder box until I know more. Maybe a birth defect not sure. What's your thoughts? I've heard of fish getting tb I really hope that's not the case.

I would doubt it is TB. Fish TB manifests itself in a lot of ways but usually not clear bubbles. My thoughts are that it is a defect or else a wound that has healed a little wrong. If you think he might be contagious you will need to remove him to another tank completely. I think it is too early to treat with meds at the moment but watch for an more signs.

my guppy had two of these sack like blisters. i caught him in a net and popped it with my finger and it went away. none of the other fish got it. the fish lived for a really long time afterward nothing to worry about i dont think.

could be a fish louse, they are clear and blend well while sucking the fishes blood. or a blister thing as said before. just iv never heard of a fish blister! ha

Ya I really have no idea I'm gonna keep him In the breeder box and get some parasite medicine just incase I decide to treat him, also read something about putting Epsom salt in the water I think I will get some of that as well, or is that only for 1 type of disease?

Ok so I won't do the salt thing yet, I got some of that antibiotic food stuff but now he won't eat it I think he thinks it tastes funny, he takes n then spits it out. I also have some of that maly green stuff maybe I should try that. Mom is due in a week so I'm nervous about that, hopefully he's not the dad. :(

Well I just don't know I've been feeding him antibiotic food but it's not getting better , but now I'm noticing that his spine it's a little kinked. Maybe that's why he's has the bump maybe it's a birth defect. But I'm a little paranoid that it's tb ( that's why I was concerned if he was the dad ) but I'm a bit dramatic when it comes to animal illness. Ahhh and now I've noticed that my freshly cleaned tank has flat worms, which I managed to transfer to my baby tank. I also sucked what I thought were a bunch of danio eggs out for the baby tank. I don't know if they were worm eggs instead but I have no danios lots of worms and a bunch of eggs that aren't doing anything. My little fishy world is fallin apart :(

if its a little kinked, watch out for tb.
symptoms i noticed from an infected tank at a lfs:
- stays near bottom, hardly eats
- slimy, dark and/or flakey damaged scales
- white patches of scales in some cases
- spine curving, one almost had 90 degree angle it was that bad.
- labouring gills, some had clouded eyes

does it have any of these? x

Nope none of those just a slight curve in the spine and the bump, and all the other fish look well.

Does anyone know if it's bad for a pregnant fish to have antibiotics

Dizzydea said:
Nope none of those just a slight curve in the spine and the bump, and all the other fish look well.

I believe that TB, scoliosis and neon tetra disease all can cause a curvature of the spine.

Shane83 said:
I believe that TB, scoliosis and neon tetra disease all can cause a curvature of the spine.

Regardless you should remove and euthanize the infected fish immediately

I really don't know if I have it in me to do that, and I'm still not sure that's what it is. There is just not enough evidence for me to do that.

Back
Top Bottom