Help! My puffer will only eat live goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynnCeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small porcupine puffer ( 2-1/4") that will only eat live goldfish. I know that's not good. I've been trying to feed him the frozen brine shrimp, but he just watches the stuff go by and ignores virtually all of it. He won't even eat a dead goldfish, just the live ones. I tried live brine shrimp, but I think they're so small he doesn't want to bother with them either. I don't have a nearby LFS that carries ghost shrimp; in fact, the only LFS is the store that told me that this pufferfish won't get much bigger than he is, and that he would be fine simply eating the goldfish. Any advice? Please?

Also...would it be possible to grow the brine shrimp to a larger size and then feed it to him? Would I need to do that outside of the Puffer's home? Any knowledge on that would be welcome as well.

You could try some fresh/raw/unseasoned pieces of shrimp (from your local grocery store), soaked in garlic extreme. Soak for no more than 20-30 minutes, use some airline tubing with a little suction and move it around to try and attempt him....
I have never owned one, but folks have had success with this method. I'm sure there are other's with better, personal knowledge/experience.

I find it easiest to simply train the fish to eat whatever is offered in a net or similar container. Just take the goldfish, scoop them up in a net, and place them with the net into the tank. They will swim out and the puffer can eat them, but eventually the puffer will associate the net with food. After a while it will even probably swim right into the net to get at the goldfish. At this point, try slipping a few other prey items in such as squid, krill, silversides, etc. It may take a month or two, but this always works for me.

one trick you might try that has worked for me is get some empty clamshells, put the chopped up shrimp inside and "close" the shell, seat it in the sandbed. Soon the puffer will find it and break open the shell (or think he is anyway) and eat the shrimp inside. Do not be afraid to let it miss a meal or two, it won't starve to death and it will be more receptive to the clam trick.

Wow....what great ideas! I'm definitely going to try them, and it even sounds like fun advice to experiment with. Thanks a bunch!!! You guys are great.

Can you take a video and put it on YouTube of the feed?

I feed my porcupine puffer frozen krill or frozen scallops. All we do is put some food on the end of some tweezers and move it around the tank. In no time he comes after it and eats it. He does tend to be picky. If i feed him the same thing every day for about 4 days that last day he doesn't show much interest in his food. I try to mix up his feedings, krill for a couple nights then scallops for one night. So far this has worked. Good luck...

Hara said:
one trick you might try that has worked for me is get some empty clamshells, put the chopped up shrimp inside and "close" the shell, seat it in the sandbed.
WOW! That is a great idea!! It will also help him whittle down his fused "teeth".

That`s why it`s always a good point to watch the fish first before you bring him home to see that he eats prepared food. My LFS knows that any fish I`m going to get that he has to prove that he is eating.

When I first got into SW I had a snowflake eel with the same type of problem. I started putting small pieces of shrimp dipped in dt's on the tip of a wooden stick and danced it in front of the eel. REALLY cool when it works and I would def suggest recording it if possible. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom