help needed - changing gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tfast500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank setup for awhile now but hate the green gravel in it. I want to change it over to sand... I just purchased some crushed coral.

i have 6 tetras and a loach in it how can i remove the gravel and replace with the sand? how long will i have to let it sit before adding plants, fish, etc into it?

Change half the gravel at a time. I use a piece of plexiglass about 4" tall for a divider to keep the new, and old gravel from mixing. Do half now, and in about three weeks change out the other half. Don't clean your filters during this time, as most of the BB is in the filter material.

i just went ahead and did it

i put my fish in a holding tank and replaced the gravel with sand and put fish back in once water cleared

My only advice on the coral however is to monitor the levels closely for any rises. Especially with freshwater fish, any major changes in Ph could cause stress out even death

My only advice on the coral however is to monitor the levels closely for any rises. Especially with freshwater fish, any major changes in Ph could cause stress out even death

Yes i will be monitoring the water ph I am also buying some drift wood which I read somewhere that it will help lower the ph

Back
Top Bottom