Help needed for Platy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lebroc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to this, and have a 200L fluval roma tank with outside filtration. it has been set up for around two months, and seems to be stable, i dont have all the water testing kits, but I have kept a close eye on the ammonia in the tank which is at a constant 0 and has been for about three weeks now.
I have one female platy fish which has not been doing well for the last four or five days.
Her body looks healthy and her fins are up, but she wont eat and is hanging around hiding in the tank. moving from the top in the water lettuce to down at the bottom in a jug. Occasionally she seems as though she is panting? a bit, but will then be fine again. There is a baby fry in the tank, which has the same colourings as her, and may possibly be hers, my friend said it looks about three weeks old maybe? we managed to catch it last night and have put it in a nursery tank. She didnt look pregnant though, so I am not sure if its hers.
There were two other platys that looked pregnant also, and then went thin over night, so it may be that the fry was from one of them?
I have tried using pimafix and melafix in the tank, but it has made no different to the poorly one.
I love this fish and desperately want to save it, but i have no idea what is wrong with her. I have searched and searched thie internet, but I cannot find anything specific which would help me...Does anyone have any ideas.
In the tank there are 8 platys, 5 female and 3 male. 4 danios, two of which are still very small.
1 Minnow.
2 male guppies and 3 endlers.
the endlers, minnow one danio and two guppies were introduced to the tank about 2 weeks ago.
Please can anyone help?

I have a female who's doing the same thing, although she does eat. The other symptoms match, though. I can't figure out why, but it started after I netted a bunch of platys to take to the LFS, so I'm guessing stress. Maybe something stressed your fish out? I can't say for sure, but the best thing I can suggest is a stable temperature and regular water changes, and hope for the best.

Me and my girlfriend had a dalmation mollie that was doing the same thing about a week ago, almost resting on the substrate. A few days later we found 3 little Mollie Fry. The fry was probably the Play's but perhaps it's been scared to birth the other fry, so in other words. It's probably still pregnant and just stressed about being so, i suggest moving her very gently into a breeding net or another tank so she can have them. I hope this helps and is of use. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom