Help needed with 15g sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rfc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 29g reef tank and I would like to make a simple 15g sump. No refuge, just a tank to hide my CSS 65 skimmer, heater, and fluval canaster. I plan on purchasing a lifereef overflow box I had the following questions.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

1) The 15g sump tank is 24x12x12 (LWH). What size baffles should I have to diffuse bubbles?
2) What size return pump is needed ? The sump tank will be placed under my 29g
3) I am currently using a Fluval canaster for carbon and purigen. How would I intergrate that into the sump?

Thanks in advance

RFC

april%20233.jpg

rfc said:
1) The 15g sump tank is 24x12x12 (LWH). What size baffles should I have to diffuse bubbles?
2) What size return pump is needed ? The sump tank will be placed under my 29g
3) I am currently using a Fluval canaster for carbon and purigen. How would I intergrate that into the sump?

3) Which Fluvial canister is that? Do you run it all the time?
2) Do you want the sump to handle the majority of the circulation in your tank, or just enough to do it's job? (It will be quieter if your major flow comes from powerheads or your canister.)
1) Two to three baffles, running the width of the tank, so that the water has to pass over, under, over works effectively at eliminating bubbles. You need to figure out where the water line should be to find the height. Look at the optimal height for operation of your skimmer, and leave enough dead space for backflow when the power goes out.

More than you want to know about sumps and circulation:
http://dslinux.dyndns.org/~denise/aquarium/DIYPlumbing/futureindex.html

Thanks for the reply. I DYI a 15 gallon sump tank today. We will see how it work out :)

I run my fluval all the time mainly carbon and puigen. The 205 is just like the 304 but a newer design and slightly smaller.

The link plumbing 101 is excellent.

Thanks again

RFC

Back
Top Bottom