Help ---- new tank problems, cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it looks like your nitrites are spiking now, I am confused as to how the ammonia is still so high though. It should be converting into nitrates. I would do a 50% water change by tomorrow and re-test to see where you are at.

How are your fish doing? Do they seem alright? Or does it look like they are breathing funny?

O.K. I have now found my answer and see that I have been misinformed water changes do not harm your cycle.

I would never had to figure this out with out this forum so thanks to all of you whom have been patient with me.

Our fish thank you also.

Lol yes the bacteria live in the substrate and decor, they can be tested in the water but they will not be affected if you change the water. I personally wait to change the water until after my tank is cycled but if there were fish in there I would be doing it a lot lol. There is no such thing as too many water changes IMO, but be careful when cleaning because if you clean everything at once (gravel vac+ clean filter+ clean decor+ scrub algae) you will kill a large amount of the bacteria and throw the tank into a mini cycle.

Glad you learned a lot from here, I did too. I have only been here for like a month and I learned 90% of what I know off of this forum.

Everyone here is very helpful, and that is what it is here for :) you're welcome too 8O lol

Fish

Yes fish seem to be doing fine I just got done with another 30% water change will test again tomorrow. I do vacuum the gravel a little since my Plecostomus is so large and has some very long and large turds for a lack of better term lol. but do not mess with the filter or plants.

I thought Ammonia turns into Niterites then they turn into Niterates?

I thought Ammonia turns into Niterites then they turn into Niterates?

Yes they do, but when testing the water after the cycle is complete you shouldn't see any nitrites or ammonia, just nitrates. That is what I see anyways. Ideal conditions would be am-0 nI-0 nA- <5. I have read of people getting nitrates to 0 but as long as they are less than 5 or even 10 you should be fine.

If you do see ammonia or nitrites over .25 a water change is always good, as you probably know by now since I have said it like a billion times lol. It seems that water changes are one of the best things you can do in any sticky situation.

Glad to hear your fish are good, I always gravel vac when I do my water changes as well. And about once a month take the filter cartridge and rinse it in the old tank water while you are doing your PWC. Some people may do it more or less, but never rinse it out in tap water or let it dry out because that will kill your bacteria.

You could do the same day, I am not sure if you should wait any length of time or not to let the water circulate. I always test before PWC's but doing a PWC should help bring them down some.

Back
Top Bottom