HELP! Nitrites!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help! My poor opaline gourami just died!!! Just tested the water nitrate was probably around 40 and nitrite around .5 I haven't had nitrites for at least a year and a half. What's going on! My tank is fully planted and I don't have very many fish. I should probably be doing a water change more often but my plants to well at keeping the tank balanced. Where did the nitrite come from!

Check your temperature. The beneficial bacteria's reproduction is increased at temperatures over 86 degrees.

What is the tank size, filter type, and about how often were you doing water changes?

What is your tank size? Do a larger weekly water change make sure any other fish in there go out and try to trace the source of why your water quality got bad so suddenly

It's a 36 gallon. I have an aqua clear 30, temperature is around 73, and I do a water change about once every 3 weeks. I test the water weekly and there aren't usually any nitrate until then and they are usually around 20 or 30

Bobo8 said:
It's a 36 gallon. I have an aqua clear 30, temperature is around 73, and I do a water change about once every 3 weeks. I test the water weekly and there aren't usually any nitrate until then and they are usually around 20 or 30

What's your ph/hardness like? What did the fish die from? There's a few things that could send a tank into minicycle.

Bobo8 said:

Maybe raise the temp a little more. You should be doing more water changes and if I were you I would add another filter.

But the nitrates are never up. I haven't had nitrites in 2 years.

The water here is very hard. But the fish are used to it. Ph is around 7

Yikers bro- PWC more often. I have a 36g, and I do a PWC every week.

Also: I'm assuming tht you're using the API Master Freshwater Test Kit? Pro-tip from my sister who's doing an eco-toxicology course: before you put in your test solutions, agitate your water in the vial to oxygenate your water, which will yield more accurate results.

Yeah I should, I just didnt because everything was doing well, fish and plants.

Back
Top Bottom