Help on algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshallc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I won't lie. It's been a busy couple weeks and really stressful and I haven't given my tank the care it deserved. My oldest just started school, car troubles you name it and its probably happened.

Well I thought everything was getting back to normal with the new uv light I put on the fluval but now it seems back and it's getting bad.

image-1206646308.jpg

image-3637798323.jpg

This is in my 55 gallon
I dose excel on water changes
Quad t5 ho sea oddysea lights. But I've only been running 2 bulbs lately and no blue light at night.
Using pool filter sand as substrate.
All my levels are good I just can't get rid of this stuff.

It makes the tank look horrible.

I tried erythromycin last time it helped some but as you see it's back with revenge.

Sorry about all the poop lol was right before cleaning. Probably shoulda done it after huh :p

Look forward to any help. If you need any other info just let me know

How many hours a day are you running your lights? The blue light moonlights aren't enough light to help algae or any plant grow so you can run them. You need to be using the Excel/liquid carbon daily at a rate of 1ml Excel per every 5g of tank water. There is a generic called Metricide 14 Day Solution that you can get online, a gallon for $27 shipped. Mix it at a 1:1 ratio with RO or distilled water and get 2 gallons for $27 which is much cheaper than name brand liquid carbons. Even running 2 bulbs on that fixture requires daily liquid carbon or CO2. I run an Aquatic Life 2 bulb T5HO fixture with Geisemann bulbs and use liquid carbon daily.

Also what are you using for ferts? What type of plants do you have and how many? What is your WC schedule and amount changed weekly? Lastly what is your nitrate and phosphate reading?

You can spot treat the BBA with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution using 1-3ml of either per 1 gallon of water. Turn off filters, pull up the proper amount for your tank size in a syringe, hold syringe right up to algae and slowly squirt. Leave filters off for 20 minutes. If you have a lot to treat you'll have to treat an area a day. Also usually within 24 hours the BBA will begin to turn white, pink, or red which means it dying. BUT if you don't find and correct the problem causing it the algae will just come back.

Also only run your light 6 hours a day until algae is gone. Then slowly increase time up to about 8 hours as long as no algae begins to grow again.

Also Erythromycin is only good for treating Cyanobacteria also called blue green algae which you don't have right now. And a UV sterilizer will only kill algae, bacteria, and parasites that pass through the UV light. It's not going to do anything for in tank algae.

I was running them for 8 hours. I had a bad case of green water when I went out of town and couldn't find anyone to take care of my tanks so now I just leave the uv on.

I'll check the levels when I get home. I don't have phosphate tester though :(

I was using excel and seachem root tabs. I have a bunch of different plants. Mostly some just given to me that I don't know the name of. I'll take some pictures of them when I get home from work.

I want to go with a pressurized co2 on it but just haven't taken that leap for some reason. Well mainly financial.

The cyano almost completely was gone then all of this stated to pop up. Seems like one thing after another lately lol

I also do weekly water changes. Usually 10-15 gallons maybe. Depends how dirty it is and then I do one 50% at least once a month

You should just get in the habit of doing a 50% WC weekly so you know your nutrient levels are kept low and water quality high. I even do 50% WC in my 220g weekly. You also need to start using ferts.

Ok so I won't lie. It's been a busy couple weeks and really stressful and I haven't given my tank the care it deserved. My oldest just started school, car troubles you name it and its probably happened.

Well I thought everything was getting back to normal with the new uv light I put on the fluval but now it seems back and it's getting bad.

View attachment 196890

View attachment 196892

This is in my 55 gallon
I dose excel on water changes
Quad t5 ho sea oddysea lights. But I've only been running 2 bulbs lately and no blue light at night.
Using pool filter sand as substrate.
All my levels are good I just can't get rid of this stuff.

It makes the tank look horrible.

I tried erythromycin last time it helped some but as you see it's back with revenge.

Sorry about all the poop lol was right before cleaning. Probably shoulda done it after huh :p

Look forward to any help. If you need any other info just let me know

your suppose to dose excel everyday or every other day as per instructions. dose excel everyday according to your tank specs and it will be gone in a month..keep your eye on your fish for signs of gasping

Back
Top Bottom