help on community fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dennywright

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone i am setting up a new tropical community tank and would love to hear everyones suggestions of what to put in it i have cycled the tank already and it is 60 gallon thanks everyone

dennywright said:
hey everyone i am setting up a new tropical community tank and would love to hear everyones suggestions of what to put in it i have cycled the tank already and it is 60 gallon thanks everyone

Well most of us could list on forever and ever, so do you have any fish that you've had your eye on? Color? Aggressiveness? Region?

I think we need to hear from you first, because picking community fish is like pulling teeth, you look at each individual one and decide if you'd want it or not...

well i dont want any aggressive fish thats why i want to set up another community tank and i have had most kinds of guppies,platys and mollys and a lot of tetra but would love something different that is quite easy to breed aswell i quite like dwarf gouramis

is there any certain type of fish out there that is quite bright in colour and facinating that i can put in my community tank that would get a long with guppys?i love breeding gupps

dennywright said:
is there any certain type of fish out there that is quite bright in colour and facinating that i can put in my community tank that would get a long with guppys?i love breeding gupps

Yes-quite a lot actually. Were you wanting a school, group, or individual fish?

One fish that I absolutely love are cories! They'd be great in a community tank. Um, I think some types of killifish might work. There are tons of tetras and rasboras that would also be good. Shrimp would be good and the RCS are proficient breeders, just give them some cover. Some times GBRs or bolivians will breed in tanks, they're semi-aggressive but won't do anything but keep things in order and may eat some extra guppy fry. There are plenty other options too:)

dennywright said:

Bright and fascinating? Sounds like rams to me. They're only really aggressive if they decide to breed and dont have enough turff to themselves.

I have never tried shrimp they sound really cool!I love cories and have some of my own lol I have never tried rams before as thought they might be to aggressive. I like tiger barbs but don't like the thought of them fin nipping my guppys bright tails lol

dennywright said:
I have never tried shrimp they sound really cool!I love cories and have some of my own lol I have never tried rams before as thought they might be to aggressive. I like tiger barbs but don't like the thought of them fin nipping my guppys bright tails lol

Haha you have my thoughts exactly! I'm trying different shrimps and rams too!! Tiger barbs MAY not nip on other fish if you keep them in large groups, but they might give into temptations!! But I like your thinking:)

dennywright said:

Paradisefish are a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom