Help, peppered Cory eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, my Cory just laid eggs and I don't know how to raise the fry or anything. Anyone got any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The first thing to do is see if the eggs are white or brown

White= unfertilized
Brown =fertilized

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

You will need to remove the eggs or other fish as they will eat the eggs. I'd hatch them the same as angles.

Update: I have six wiggles in my breeder net in the main tank, as I gently removed six of them from the glass, and placed them in the net. I left the others as they were hidden. But I can't find any others, just my six in the net.

The thing is, the fry are in the tank with everyone else, so I don't know if any survived

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most likely eaten. Even then parent fish will eat the eggs and fry even if by accident, they exhibit no brood care that I have witnessed.

Still, if you have some that will breed it is simple enough to make the effort should you wish to in the future. (I think it's easiest to remove adult fish to a breeding tank then return them after the eggs appear)

I think it is worth it. Depends on your view, you don't get much in return but it is satisfying, paleatus are no longer money fish but they are lovely and very peaceful. I've kept them for as long as I've had fish.

My first shoal always pleased me, I kept a good few and every time is saw them I thought, yes, that's great. In the end I had 28 or so in a monster shoal and it was brilliant!

(Edit. When breeding keep at least 2-3 female per male, very important)

I didn't even plan on breeding them, that's the funny thing

That's how it happened for me the first time, one survived, surprise surprise, we called him nemo! It was my second ever fish purchase way back in 2005, I got a pair of Cory, one each, they bred lots! I didn't even know what the eggs were! Then we saw the shimmy T position and worked it out from there using the internet. Then I made a point to document it because it's such a great thing. I am not the first though.

It's easy to sex the fish, females noticeably broader through the pectoral fin region, also longer by 2.5cm/1" or slightly more and generally much more full throughout the body. if they breed once they will breed every six weeks or more if you want. Really that's a lot of eggs though!

Like I say it really is satisfying but think about the fry, some will need to be destroyed, I think it's better to remove runts, your views may differ.
Also you need somewhere to grow them on. 6-8 weeks before they are really big enough, maybe longer depending on what you plan to keep them with.

It is worth it.

The one thing is that I am going to have to give more than half the survivors away as my tank doesn't have enough room

That's part of it, swap them for fish tokens!
A pot of food or something, more fish maybe?

Some stores will take them for shop credit or something like the above.
It's a lot of work! Paleatus are old now though! A rarer type would get you some decent money or so I've been told!
Or, get another tank and buy a piscivore, I bred platy to feed a bichir, great free food but it depends on your outlook! Cory aren't really good feeders though because they have a sting in the dorsal.

At least you're excited, that's always a good start!

Well, here's an update on the fry. They are getting bigger, and they are all alive, but not big enough to take out of the breeder net. So far so good

Thanks for the update.

A big shoal of these is a fantastic sight. (Subliminal persuasion :wink:)

I've kept these for years and they are a really great fish.

How many?

I have 6 alive. And I might have a fry or two alive in the main tank.

That's excellent for a first accidental dab at it!
Hopefully you're quite pleased with it all? You should be happy!
(You must be otherwise we would have no update!)

Powder some catfish pellets (either grind them in your fingers or pestle and mortar)
Makes a good second food. Once you can see them start with powder food and work your way up through grain size until they eat off adult size bits, algae wafers are good as they don't need crushing, 4-5 fry around a wafer is a really great sight.

Had to look that up! Fist bites? Fish punching fiasco!
Hah hah!

Yes I use hikari algae wafers, I tried a few brands but I'm sure the fish like them better. They do a mini wafer now which I use for smaller tanks/fish and just powdered when I need it. I got a fry food set once and it just consisted of 3 pots of various grade powders so after that I just ground my own.

Alright, here's another update. I just moved the 6 living fry from the breeder net, into an empty 10 gallon tank. The filter is a mini penguin, but I put panty hose around the filter intake so they won't get sucked in. They seem to love the new upgrade. Hopefully it will encourage a lot of growth.

Back
Top Bottom